I have been sadly remiss in my journaling duties, Gentle Reader, but there have been Things Afoot. This last weekend was my final convention incognito, as it were. From here on out, and hopefully after BEA, I should be Recognizable as Gail. Still, it would appear I am already adapting to life as a professional writer since I spent the majority of this last convention at the bar.
Having just returned from one event, I am already squirreling about packing for the next. I depart inexcusably early on Thursday morning, which leaves only two days to coordinate such necessities as hair appointments and visits to the nail salon. I must say I have no idea how chronic wanderers like Mr. Jay Lake cope with constant travel. Then again I suspect he does so with far fewer pairs of shoes, and less frequent visits to said nail salon. Of course, I am not unused to globetrotting, I am simply accustomed to doing so for considerably longer stretches of time. The beauty of being an archaeologist is one goes to a foreign destination – and then stays there until exhausted by it. The Armenian Lovers are very tolerant of my travel idiosyncrasies and are even providing ground transportation at 4 AM. This may be one of the finest definitions of True Love.
Tomorrow, I thought I would pontificate on clothing choices for meeting ones Adoring Public, but today I give you a peek into Gail’s Convention Necessities Packing List.
- Emergency tea bags (6) – in case hotel does not respect tea as it ought
- Emergency marmite (2) – in case hotel does not respect breakfast as it ought
- Tiny Tabasco sauce – just in case
- Olympus Digital Voice Recorder – for emergency podcasting purposes
- Pen (gold) & tiny pad of paper (green)
- Small sewing kit – vintage dresses require constant vigilance
- Blister Band-Aids & shoe inserts – feet wearing stilettos also require maintenance
- Makeup & perfume – because I take being presentable seriously
- Emergency kit – includes a USB flash drive, 8 bobby pins, 3 Advil, backup lipstick & gold eye shadow – odd what I consider “emergency”
- Digital camera – which I probably won’t use but I always lug around anyway
- Other vitals – hair fixer, curl clips, curling iron, toiletries, glasses, invitations, reservation tickets, ankle braces, retractable badge clip & ear plugs
I am in deep contemplation over logic of bringing computer on this particular trip. One there, it looks like I’ll be rather busy with little time to write but there is a very long plane ride. However, my battery is on a slow decline and I only get an hour or so out of it these days. (Why, oh why, has apple not yet given me my iPhone + robot arm + projected keyboard?)
Gail’s Daily Dose
Your Infusion of Cute:
Gnomes infiltrate RHS Chelsea Flower Show
Your Tisane of Smart:
Photos from the Cassini-Huyeens Mission to Saturn and its moons, all are in the public domain.
Your Writerly Tinctures:
Nothing to report because, very annoyingly, no one turned up for the SFWA meeting. Grumble.
CAKE in Space: Finished Draft 2, with agent.
Soulless: Awaiting ARC distribution.
Steampunk short: I should probably do something with this.
Changeless: Gone poof. Starting to gather corrections.
Quote of the Day:
“A man’s sole is in peril when his feet are hurting.”
~ Tad Williams