It did prompt me did go back over my old notes from Changeless on the subject for the regimental system in my particular version on Victorian England. So here’s a little DVD extra moment for you all.
Victorian Regimental System ~ Gail’s Universe
The Queen’s Regiment
AKA the Regulars
- Officer corps = ruling class drawn from squires, clergy, civil servants, politician, pack members
- Soldiers drawn from all manner of personal, include a number of convicts who are given military service as an option instead of prison or deportation
- Military caste is a narrow, closed society
- Barracks and officer’s wife’s also rather liminal to regular society
- A kind of unspoken code that officers marry other officer’s daughters
- Pack or family mentality
AKA the Company
- 1/2 British army abroad, including the commander-in-chief of India, privately chartered by the Honorable East India Company (a vampire funded and owned trade concern)
- British East India Company founded in 1300 and incorporated by Elizabeth I under royal charter December 1, 1600
- Familiarly known as “Bloody John Company” or sometimes Old Jack (See what I mean? Vampires)
- East India Company’s Army comprised of various divisions.
- European Regiments = British & Irish recruits, used in daylight action
- Native Regiments = high caste Hindus from bengal + Sikhs + some Muslims + Gurkhas + some local vampires if willing + local werewolves if around in that part of the Empire
- British werewolf packs do not serve in the Company, only in the Regulars.
- Although the Company could hire regular regiments from the government, posing an interesting problem in some parts of the Empire with packs fighting under vampires
Werewolf pack members generally carry (baring personal issues, experience, and other concerns) the following rank:
Alpha = Colonel
Beta = Lieutenant-Colonel
Gama = Major
However, they do not necessarily command the ordinary number of soldiers associated with such ranks, but act more as scouts or special services
They are attached to a regiment but not always fully integrated within that regiment.
PROJECT ROUND UP
Prudence ~ The Parasol Protectorate Abroad Book the First: Release date Fall 2013. Writing rough draft. We have encountered chai, and had a bit of a nookie scene. Rue is unsure of both, but not entirely opposed.
Curtsies & Conspiracies ~ The Finishing School Book the Second: Title changed. Awaiting copy edits.
Etiquette & Espionage ~ Finishing School Book the First: Release date Feb 5, 2013. Working promo schemes to begin September.
Manga ~ Soulless Vol. 2: (AKA Changeless) Reviewing chapter by chapter, each drops on YenPlus by subscription. Print release tentatively Dec. 2012.
BIG FAT SPOILER ALERT on the Parasol Protectorate series! Really, DON’T READ THE BLURB ON AMAZON if you haven’t read the other books first!
The Omnibus hardback editions are limited run through the SciFi Bookclub only.
The manga editions, Vol. available in print, Vol. 2 by subscription to YenPlus.
Most short stories available in ebook form world wide!
The first Finishing School book ~ Out Feb. 5, 2013
Dark Faerie Tales reviews the manga.
Quote of the Day:
“And there is really no reason why the Englishwoman in India should burden herself with the same number of petticoats, shifts, bodices, and what not, that her great-grandmother wore in temperate climes. We so not advocate any sloppiness in dress; on the contrary, we would inveigh against any yielding to the lassitude and indifference which comes over the most energetic in tropical heat, but we would have people as comfortable as they can be under the circumstances. And any multiplicity in under-garments, no matter how thin they may be, keeps in perspiration and conduces fatally to prickly heat.”
~ Steel & Gardiner, 1888