Since the moment I learned of NaNoWriMo, I have been unable to participate. I’ve always had deadlines for other writing that had to take priority, and for years I wrote fiction while working on my PhD and working weekend jobs. I know there are no excuses in the NaNoWri world but there’s mine. Nevertheless, I am one of those authors who rather enjoys the furor and excitement of the Great NaNo. I think anything that causes anyone anywhere to be excited about writing is No Bad Thing.
AKA The histogram of coffee shop visits vs. writing competency
Bellow is a simple graph charting the average author’s progress through a book. This, of course, is based on an entirely representative sample of one.
On the X axis we have: Progress of Book Toward Completion described as follows
- 0-20% complete ~ Thrill of a New Adventure, during which phase your hardy author stays home and is Very Diligent
- 20-40% complete ~ Nose to the Grindstone, during which phase your terrified author is driven to productivity by the sheer weight of deadline
- 40-60% complete ~ Struggle With Progress, your long-suffering author has achieve the half way point, only to realize she must write the same amount again
- 60-80% complete ~ I Suck, Why Bother?, during this phase your depressive author is convinced everything she writes is rubbish, no one will buy the book, the editor will want a massive rewrite, and she should take up manufacturing shoes for earthworms or something equally useful
- 80-100% complete ~ Victory is Mine, during this phase the light appears at the end of the tunnel, the betas are clamoring for the next book, and your triumphant author has decided once more she is brilliant.
I suppose I’m trying to show that most of us authors face doubts an depression and frustration as we write. That doesn’t change. The point is to soldier on. And drink lots of tea!
GAIL’S DAILY DOSE
Your Writerly Tinctures . . .
Do you ever have those days where writing feels like a chore?
PROJECT ROUND UP
Prudence ~ The Parasol Protectorate Abroad Book the First: Release date Fall 2013. Writing rough draft. The elephant has exploded. Climatic battle sequence ahead.
Curtsies & Conspiracies ~ The Finishing School Book the Second: Title changed. Copy edits incoming.
Etiquette & Espionage ~ Finishing School Book the First: Release date Feb 5, 2013. Working promo schemes to begin September.
Manga ~ Soulless Vol. 2: (AKA Changeless) Reviewing chapter by chapter, each drops on YenPlus by subscription. Print release tentatively Dec. 2012.
BIG FAT SPOILER ALERT on the Parasol Protectorate series! Really, DON’T READ THE BLURB ON AMAZON if you haven’t read the other books first!
The Omnibus hardback editions are limited run through the SciFi Bookclub only.
The manga editions, Vol. available in print, Vol. 2 by subscription to YenPlus.
Most short stories available in ebook form world wide!
The first Finishing School book ~ Out Feb. 5, 2013
Quote of the Day:
“Books support us in our solitude and keep us from being a burden to ourselves.”
~ Jeremy Collied