This is an idea shamelessly taken out of the Romance Community, but it is such a good idea! I can’t help myself. I recently parroted on about it on the SF Signal podcast and have decided to do a few companion blogs on the subject.
If you have a friend/loved one who is a voracious reader why not consider a signed copy of a book from an author you know they love, accompanied by a basket of items themed to that book? My local indy Borderlands has many signed books available. Give them a call or try your own local establishment (like Murder by the Book, Tattered Cover, Powells, Book People, or Mysterious Galaxy). They will usually have authors in town drop by and sign stock.
Anyway, so here’s the idea: once you have the book, signed or not, then build a basket of fun around that book.
For example: the Parasol Protectorate books
1. Order signed from Borderlands (Definitely get your request in before Dec 15th, that’s the last time I’ll be able to get in to sign stock for them before the holidays.)
2. Source a vintage looking basket, possibly from the local thrift store
3. Fill with accompanying fun items, many of which might also be found at a thrift store
- Alternative book option: Sorcery & Cecelia or The Enchanted Chocolate Pot (Gail’s review)
- For nesting: Victorian wallpaper style tissue paper or vintage table cloth
- Crochet gloves with a vintage look
- Teacup cocktail napkins
- Cup & saucer ~ definitly check your local thrift store, charity shop, or antique fair
- English Breakfast tea or tea inspired by cake
- Homemade scones or scone mix (there are plenty available at local grocery stores)
- Homemade treacle tart
- Clotted cream
- Homemade jam or lemon curd
- Homemade cookies or Hobnob Biscuits or Jaffa Cakes
- Bamboo doily clock
- Teapots puzzle
- Companion book: What Jane Austen Ate and Charles Dickens Knew: From Fox Hunting to Whist-the Facts of Daily Life in Nineteenth-Century England
- Lacy parasol from Amazon or plenty of colorful options from Lace Parasols & Fans
I have lots of additional ideas and food thoughts in my blog post on How to Throw a Parasol Protectorate tea.
Next up in this blog I’ll do a fantasy book basket idea for Changeless but in the meantime I’m interested in your thoughts. Anything you’ve run across that would fit with this theme? Suggestions for good recipes? Other books that might work with this basket?
GAIL’S DAILY DOSE
Your Tisane of Smart . . .
Liquid Glacial Table by-Zaha Hadid Architects
Your Writerly Tinctures . . .
You Can’t Just Leave Out The Boring Parts
PROJECT ROUND UP
Prudence ~ The Parasol Protectorate Abroad Book the First: Release date Fall 2013. Working first draft.
Curtsies & Conspiracies ~ The Finishing School Book the Second: Title changed. Copy edits done and in!
Manga ~ Soulless Vol. 2: (AKA Changeless) Out now!
Etiquette & Espionage ~ Finishing School Book the First: Release date Feb 5, 2013.
BIG FAT SPOILER ALERT on the Parasol Protectorate series! Really, DON’T READ THE BLURB ON AMAZON if you haven’t read the other books first!
The Omnibus hardback editions are limited run through the SciFi Bookclub only.
The manga editions, Vol. available in print, Vol. 2 by subscription to YenPlus.
Most short stories available in ebook form world wide!
The first Finishing School book ~ Out Feb. 5, 2013
Soulless: The Manga, Vol. 2 a #1 New York Times bestseller in the Graphic Novel List!
Quote of the Day:
“Cakes and bonbons suitable for tennis parties are legion, and, as a rule the one thing to be observed in selecting them is to avoid stickiness or surprises.”
~ Steel & Gardiner, 1888
My darlings please recall, this is my blog and I am goddess of this little corner of the interwebs. You are always welcome to comment, as I am to delete said comments. As my dear mum often murmurers: if you haven’t anything nice to say then please don’t stay anything at all. Also: Thou shalt not commit Logical Fallacies.