The second Finishing School book, Curtsies & Conspiracies, launches today! Squee!
Amazon chose it as one of their teen books of the month!
Kirkus chose it as a Best Bet for Science Fiction & Fantasy Books for November 2013
I’m super excited about this book and I hope you all enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it. I feel like I really found my stride, and so did Sophronia and her cohorts. There are also boys in this one. Yes, boys. I know, the girls and Mademoiselle Geraldine’s were shocked and titillated too.
Mademoiselle Geraldine is a little upset, I must say.
You don’t have to take my word for it, here are some early reviews for Curtsies & Conspiracies.
- Booklist Starred Review: “Carriger’s second steampunk adventure exceeds the first…This witty, light-hearted series is not to be missed.”
- School Library Journal: “A must-have purchase.”
- Publisher’s Weekly Starred Review: “Carriger’s blend of comically exaggerated characters and madcap action will easily win over readers once again.” Read the full review!
- Publisher’s Weekly: Children’s Book Review: “Teenage and adult fans alike will rejoice that Carriger retains her flair for musical prose, over-the-top names (e.g. Algonquin Shrimpdittle), clever wit, and strange yet helpful mechanical devices of all kinds.”
- Stuff and Nonsense says, “Carriger has a wonderful way with language: lessons include “tea and delusions” and “portion allotment, puddings and preemptive poisonings”.”
Fanboy Planet says, “The books never talk down, which makes them interesting reading for adults.”
The Best Books Ever says, “With each release, Gail Carriger more firmly cements herself onto the list of authors who I will just automatically read everything that they publish.”
Maddie.TV says, “Full of just as much magic, and steampunk flare as the previous novel, Curtsies and Conspiracies was had some new aspects that made me love it even more.”
The Bookbag says, “Sophronia stands out as an impressive lead character.”
Hopefully, I’ll be in your area and you can come out and say hi. I promise that I try my best to put on a really good show.
GAIL’S DAILY DOSE
Your Moment of Parasol . . .
|1850s The Metropolitan Museum of Art|
Your Infusion of Cute . . .
|Pug & parasol|
Your Tisane of Smart . . .
Your Writerly Tinctures . . .
The Best Possible Betrayal, or The Fine Art of the Plot Twist in Your Back
PROJECT ROUND UP
Waistcoats & Weaponry ~ The Finishing School Book the Third:
Curtsies & Conspiracies ~ The Finishing School Book the Second. Out now!
Etiquette & Espionage ~ trade paperback will be available in the US October 13, 2013.
Manga ~ Soulless Vol. 3: (AKA Blameless) Available serialized through YenPlus. Print edition Nov. 19 2013.
Prudence ~ The Parasol Protectorate Abroad Book the First: Delayed. Why? Begin rewrite in 2014.
Quote of the Day:
~ Anais Nin
Tags: curtsies and conspiracies, event, finishing school