I didn’t really get to mention many of my picks in outrageous and fun non-fiction books at WorldCon last year. That particular panel turned out to be not quite what I expected. They do that sometimes. So I thought I’d put my list up here. The blurbs on Amazon are pretty good if you want to know what they are about.
- My Family and Other Animals ~ Gerald Durrell (This is the first in his longer running episodic autobiographical series. The others are great too but they are all best on audiobook.)
- Structures: or Why Things Don’t Fall Down ~ J.E. Gordon (The only textbook I kept from college.)
- The World Without Us ~ Alan Weisman (A thought experiment of dystopian proportions accuracy questionable but very entertaining)
- Heads in Beds: A Reckless Memoir of Hotels, Hustles, and So-Called Hospitality ~ Jacob Tomsky (Here is where I learned the magic of the baby brick.)
- Sleepless in Hollywood: Tales from the New Abnormal in the Movie Business ~ Lynda Obst (From here on out, any time anyone asks me why there isn’t a movie made of my series, I’m telling them to read this book.)
- Geologic Podcast‘s “Interesting Fauna” segment
- All in the Mind podcast
- Stonepage Archaeology News Aggregate
GAIL’S DAILY DOSE
Your Moment of Parasol . . .
|1809 Friday, September 1 Ackerman’s Repository v. 3, plate 26|
Your Infusion of Cute . . .
|“By request, here’s a shot of the interior of my ocean teacup.”|
Your Tisane of Smart . . .
|London. Piccadilly Circus in 1894 via British Paintingstumblr|
Your Writerly Tinctures . . .
PROJECT ROUND UP
Curtsies & Conspiracies ~ The Finishing School Book the Second. Out now!
Soulless Vol. 3 (AKA Blameless the manga) ~ Out now!
Waistcoats & Weaponry ~ The Finishing School Book the Third. I honestly do not yet know the exact release date. Probably early November 2014.
Manners & Mutiny ~ The Finishing School Book the Last. Working rough draft.
Prudence ~ Custard Protocol Book the First: Delayed. Why? Rewrite begins soon.
I Read to Relax reviews C&C: “[Sophronia] is the type of smart, adventurous heroine I’d hope to be if I ever found myself learning poisons and proper etiquette upon a floating dirigible.”
Quote of the Day:
~ Tamora Pierce, Lioness RampantTags: reviews, victorian science