NaNoWriMo has ended and the holidays are upon us. So here are some fun ideas for gifts for the writer in your life, Gentle Reader.
Gifts for Writers
1. Profession association membership: Coupon to purchase membership for your budding author in something like SFWA (if they qualify) or RWA. (You can always give a coupon for drop-in attendance at the local RWA chapter, which allows your author to sample this experience.)
2. Octopus pen ($7).
3. Scrivener ($40-$45) & Scrivener iOS $15-30 & Scrivener for Dummies ($13 – $17): I’ll be moving to this processing program soon. Designed by and for writers. Every author I know who uses it, loves it. It’s not for everyone, but it’s worth a try.
4. The experience gift. Check about to see if the there is a local writers conference, for example Pike’s Peak Writers runs a wonderful annual event in Colorado Springs. Sometimes these are run through a local university and often local libraries know about such things.
5. Professional courses: offer up a professional course, evening class, or private lessons in something useful to a writer or a small business. All things from Scrivener, to Office, to the basics of bookkeeping to Photoshop 101 can be helpful for beginning writers.
PROJECT ROUND UP
- Romancing the Werewolf ~ A Supernatural Society Novella
Status: Rough Draft.
LBGTQ reunion romance featuring your favorite reluctant werewolf dandy, the return of a certain quietly efficient Beta, and a very unexpected gift.
- Secret Project SAS ~ Novel
Status: First draft done. Resting before second draft.
Contemporary m/m paranormal romance between a snarky mage and a gruff werewolf. Hella raunchy. Super dirty. Very very fun. Spin off of Marine Biology.
A steampunk lesbian romance featuring a maid bent on seducing a brilliant cross-dressing scientist who’s too brokenhearted to notice. Or is she?
GAIL’S DAILY DOSE
Your Moment of Parasol . . .
Your Infusion of Cute . . .
Your Tisane of Smart . . .
Your Writerly Tinctures . . .
Jo of Vampire Book Club says:
“Imprudence firmly cemented the Custard Protocol series as a worthy successor to Parasol Protectorate. Filled with adventure, friendship and romance, this is an immensely fun ride, in a wonderfully amusing world.”
Quote of the Day:
“We have really everything in common with America nowadays except, of course, language.”
~ Oscar Wilde