Jan62017

What Was Your Favorite Gail’s Book Group Pick of 2016?

It’s that time, Gentle Reader!

You know I want to make sure I always pick books that you like (as well as me) so I’m running a poll for the book group. You can vote for as many as five books (if you really can’t make up your mind). Feel free to vote, even if you didn’t get a chance to read all 10. (I left my own books off the list, not fair.)

Your favorite Book Group read of 2016?

Thanks for voting!

Last year’s winner was Uprooted by Naomi Novik.

Did you read something you really loved in 2016? I’d love to hear about it, please feel free to leave a comment.

Gail’s New Years Celebration

My Stats

Gail’s 2016 Reading Stats:

• Stories read in 2016: 353 (mostly shorts & novellas, m/m romance) – Look we all cope with sickness, depression, and tragedy in our own ways, I gorge speed-read at a rate of 2-4 books a day, don’t judge.
  • Rejected in 2016: 169 (57 full read, the rest samples) – This means I go so annoyed 57 times that I deleted the book.
  • Non-fiction: 10 (travel, historical research, or business related)
  • Reread: 12 or so, didn’t keep track.

Gail’s 2017 Ambitions:

• Actively Reading: 30
  • On deck for possible book club: 18 (2 definite)
  • Purchased to read: 86
  • To reread: 24

I’m really trying to follow and commit to more authors that I like, so that I know to buy their new releases ASAP in a better effort at support. Do unto others, and all that.

As an Author?

• Published: 1 trad novel, 2 indie novellas
  • Republished: 4 shorts
  • Wrote: 2 novellas, 1 novel (I’d like to keep this pace but I don’t know if I can and not burn out, particularly when also dealing with trad)
  • Travelled to: 17 cities, 1 international (Singapore)
  • Total number of 2016 events: 23 (including local events and multiples in same city)
  • Number of calling cards: 404 (thanks for your thoughts!)
  • Time lost to illness: c. 2 months (it was a rough year on my body, turns out)

{Gail’s monthly read along for January is A Brother’s Price by Wen Spencer.}

PROJECT ROUND UP

• Secret Project SAS ~ Novel
    Status: Developmental edit (third draft).
    Contemporary m/m paranormal romance between a snarky mage and a gruff werewolf. Hella raunchy. Super dirty. Very very fun. Spin off of Marine Biology.
  • Romancing the Werewolf ~ A Supernatural Society Novella
    Status: Rough Draft Complete. On Lay Away.
    LBGTQ reunion romance featuring your favorite reluctant werewolf dandy, the return of a certain quietly efficient Beta, and some very unexpected gifts.
  • Competence (working title) ~ Custard Protocol Book 3
    Status: Outline
    Third in the Custard Protocol series featuring Primrose, Rue, and all their crazy friends.

OUT NOW

Romancing the Inventor

Romancing the Inventor: A Supernatural Society Novella

A steampunk lesbian romance featuring a maid bent on seducing a brilliant cross-dressing scientist who’s too brokenhearted to notice. Or is she?

GAIL’S DAILY DOSE

Your Moment of Parasol . . .

1920s Oᒪᗪ ᑭᕼOTOᔕ & ᙖᗩᙅOᑎ @photosandbacon Lila Lee at the Beach

Your Infusion of Cute . . .

Alice White 1920s fashion via fawnvelveteen tumblr

Your Tisane of Smart . . .

“After the first glass you see things as you wish they were. After the second glass you see things as they are not. Finally, you see things as they really are, and that is the most horrible thing in the world.”

~ Oscar Wilde

Your Writerly Tinctures . . .

Dumbbells & Dragons interview

Book News:

Quote of the Day:

“We have really everything in common with America nowadays except, of course, language.”

~ Oscar Wilde

Questions about Gail’s steampunk world? There’s a wiki for that!
Share & Enjoy!

Tags: , , ,

Posted by Gail Carriger

16 Responses

1. Sandra Kolder said:

I have been reading The Others Series by Anne Bishop and it is absolutely face meltingly awesome (which I’ll have you know is a rare destination shared with only a few authors including yourself). I know you don’t like reading incomplete series Miss Gail, but this one is nearly done. The final book comes out this March.

1. Crystal Tracy said:

I second the recommendation of The Others. I read all the books of the series in one year, in several months. Such binging has become rare for me with so many great options out there to try, so this is a testament to how engrossing it was.
        Have you read Shadowshapers by Daniel Jose Older? it’s not a perfect book, but delightfully, organically diverse YA urban fiction. The imagery is beautiful, as is the non-white, Western mythology it incorporates.

2. Ann Brookens said:

I’ve been reading DL Carter (just finished The Complications of Changing Magic which ended in a HUGE cliffhanger, so I’m not sure I recommend it until book 3 comes out, although I loved it!) (And she says she submitted book 3 in 2015 and it still hasn’t been released!) Also reading Kristin Painter’s Nocturne Falls series. Love Mercedes Lackey. Bohemian Gospel by Dana Chamblee Carpenter is excellent; a strange and unusual book, with the sequel coming out this year. It was just $1.99 on BookBub a few days ago.
    I hope that 2017 is a healthy, happy year for you! Two months of illness is more than anyone should have to deal with!

1. Gail Carriger Post author said:

OMG thank you for that warning! I will hold off on reading Complications, I had it in my too read pile.

3. anne said:

Hello.
    Thank to you I have discovered and read Tamora Pierce’s “Alanna” tetralogy, an excellent series with a strong young woman.
    Among good novels read in 2016, I recommand Deborah Harkness’s “Discovery of Witches” trilogy : Diana, a witch and scholar, is attracted by Matthew, a vampire, while researching in Oxford, their mutual attraction angering and endangering other supernaturals to the point they have to ‘disappear’ in 16th century Europe for some time while looking for a rare document.
    Another one is Bee Rigerindgway’s “The River of No Return” ; Nicholas, who has officially died on a Napoleonic battlefield but in fact time-jumped 2 centuries forward, is send by the Guild back to his original time period. He meets again the woman he loved, Julia, who who has yet to discover that she has the power to time-travel.
    Waiting for your next publications,

1. Gail Carriger Post author said:

You are not the first to rec Discovery of Witches. I have tried it but found it difficult to get in to. Maybe I will try again.

1. AllieCricket said:

Discovery of Witches is one of my favorite books. I’d love to read it for a 5th time.

4. Crystal Tracy said:

Also, have you read yet, or are you at least aware of The Bear and The Nightingale by Katherine Arden? We just processed this at my local library association, and it looks fantastic. Lots of advance praise, some comparing it to Uprooted. I can’t wait to read it; I have a hold on it already.

5. AllieCricket said:

Gail, have you read The Kricket Series? I thought the first two books were very solid, but I loved the third book, Darken The Stars. I felt it’s villain was just as great as The villain in Uprooted. Warning, I felt haunted at the end of the series as it felt unfinished.

6. Jessie said:

My favorite books this year included the Tiffany Aching series as well!

I also enjoyed the first two books in Rae Carson’s Gold Seer Trilogy, Marie Brennan’s In the Labyrinth of Drakes (the most recent in the Memoirs of Lady Trent series), Rick Riordan’s The Hidden Oracle, Neil Gaiman’s The Sleeper and the Spindle, Holly Black’s The Coldest Girl in Coldtown, and lots of Diana Wynne Jones, and highly recommend all of them.

1. Jo said:

I loved The Sleeper and the Spindle! Both the prose and the illustrations were beautiful, and I found myself thrilled by the twist on the traditional fairytales!

7. Jo said:

Has the book group ever read Seraphina, by Rachel Hartman? It’s up there in my favorites with the Song of the Lioness quartet, and based on the other books the group read this year, I think most everyone would enjoy it. It’s got the whole shebang: dragons, music, clever princesses, dashing soldiers, and a plot twist that I totally didn’t see coming. There is a sequel (with an awesome country and great LGBTQ+ representation!) but Seraphina really works as a stand-alone. I would highly recommend it to anyone, but especially to lovers of Tamora Pierce and Kristin Cashore.
    … Just in case anyone is interested …