I tend to collect pet peeves the way computer geeks collect cables. But five have recently come to the fore as particularly annoying:
1. The Hollywood on-screen injury. You know it, you’ve seen it a million times ~ it’s that stylish cut right above one eyebrow on the side of the forehead. Looks lovely bleeding slightly (although never too much), looks even better and more dramatic with an ostentatious white bandage. The soap operas started it, now everyone does it. You’d think beautiful people had no other body part to get injured than the side of the forehead. It’s a red flag for a bad show.
2. Anything with superfluous or hard-to-open packaging. Including but not limited to: all items from Costco, most items shipped from online stores, anything from the Apple store, CDs and DVDs, old-style milk cartons, and bags of crackers. My solution, if possible, is to have the clerk/teller open the package for me. Let them suffer.
3. Insurance companies. Period.
4. Men (and those few women) who jiggle their legs when seated. Sit. Flipping. Still. For. The. Love.
5. People who are only capable of answering one question per email. This is particularly prevalent in the publishing industry wherein one sends one’s agent/editor/publicist/fellow-author/con-o
Gail’s Daily Dose
Your Infusion of Cute:
Kinekt Design Gear Ring
Your Tisane of Smart:
Steampunk goggles tutorial
Your Writerly Tinctures:
Confused About Steampunk? Let Cherie Priest Explain
My Favourite Books, favourites me. “I cannot remember when I have had such a big, fat grin on my face for the entirety of the book.”
SPOILER ALERT! Amazon and Powell’s have posted Changeless cover along with blurb. Blurb gives bits of Soulless away so don’t read if you haven’t read the first book.
Blameless: Done, happy dance.
Quote of the Day:
“Nature requires five, custom gives seven, laziness takes nine, and wickedness eleven.”
~ C. Stevermer on the subject of sleep.