Gentle Reader, I am scrambling to finish up the very first draft of Heartless. This means that I am back contemplating the great and fateful Histogram of Authorial Procrastination.
Otherwise know as: the graph of coffee shop visits and writing competency
A year or so ago I made this histogram charting the average author’s emotional security progress through writing a book. This, of course, is based on an entirely representative sample of one. Me.
On the X axis we have: Progress of Book Towards Completion described as follows
- 0-20% complete – Thrill of a New Adventure, during which phase your hardy author-beast stays home and is Very Diligent
- 20-40% complete – Nose to the Grindstone, during which phase your terrified author-beast is driven to productivity by the sheer weight of deadline
- 40-60% complete – Struggle With Progress, your long-suffering author-beast has achieve the half way point, only to realize she must do the same again
- 60-80% complete – I Suck, Why Bother?, during this phase your depressive author-beast is convinced everything she writes is rubbish, people are only buying her books out of pity, the editor will want a massive rewrite, and she should take up manufacturing shoes for earthworms or something equally useful
- 80-100% complete – Victory is Mine, during this phase the light appears at the end of the tunnel, the betas are clamoring for the next book, and your triumphant author-beast has decided once more she is brilliant.
Happy Fourth of July weekend to those who care about such things. I, myself, have never quite recovered from the terrible loss of tea life that precipitated the whole matter. However, it is a vacation in my part of the world and it is an excused to do that thing in the back yard where we burn the meat. So, I will not be back online until Weds. Catch you all then.
Gail’s Daily Dose
Your Infusion of Cute:
Look Mum, Doily art!
Your Tisane of Smart:
Periodic Table of Science Bloggers by David Bradley, Sciencebase
Your Writerly Tinctures:
My agent talks about multi-book contracts and all about advances. (No, that wasn’t me.)
Amberkatze says, “Cozy mystery, romance, comedy and the paranormal are mixed together to make one superb book.”
SPOILER ALERT! Changeless blurb gives away ending of Soulless. Cem says, “There is depth and intrigue to just about every aspect of this story with some surprising twists along the way. We meet some very entertaining new side characters, as well as getting to know those we’ve already met better. I love the way Alexia and Conall play off each other.”
Out September 1, 2010! Even bigger SPOILER ALERT! Really, DON’T READ THE BLURB ON AMAZON if you haven’t read the other books first.
Heartless: Plugging away. Due Nov 1.
Super Secret Project F: Under revision. Updated proposal delayed.
CAKE in Space: Trunked.
See table of contents here.
Short story turned in. The Mammoth Book of Paranormal Romance 2 available for preorder.
Quote of the Day:
“If you can’t annoy somebody, there’s little point in writing.”
~ Kingsley Amis