Some suggestions of books to read that are kind of like my Parasol Protectorate books.
So these first books, Gentle Reader, are ones that I’ve read and can personally vouch for, and then I included a few suggestions from the Parasol Protectorate fan group on Facebook who are perpetually engaging in a lively discussion on the matter (if you’re a member of the group see the “Books to fill the void” doc in the files section.*
If You Love a Fantasy Take on Historical Tropes
- P. Djèlí Clark ~ The Black God’s Drums (steampunk New Orleans)
- Diana Wynne Jones ~ Howl’s Moving Castle (YA fantasy comedy: read Gail’s review)
- Garth Nix ~ Newt’s Emerald (gaslight fantasy regency romance: read Gail’s review)
- C. L. Polk ~ Witchmark (slipped time)
- Nikki Woolfolk ~ series of steampunk novellas
- Patricia Wrede ~ Dealing with Dragons (YA fantasy comedy)
- Wrede & Stevermer ~ Sorcery & Cecelia (gaslight fantasy: read Gail’s review)
If You Just Want to Laugh
- Douglas Adams ~ The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul (surreal mystery comedy)
- Gerald Durrell ~ My Family and Other Animals (comedy non fiction)
- Jasper Fforde ~ The Eyre Affair (surreal fantasy comedy: read Gail’s review)
- Jasmine Guillory ~ Rom coms (the the Wedding Date series)
- Jerome K. Jerome ~ Three Men in a Boat (comedy: highly recommended on audiobook)
- Terry Pratchett ~ Mort (comedy fantasy)
- P.G. Wodehouse ~ Laughing Gas (comedy: highly recommended on audiobook)
If You Want A Strong but Well Rounded Female Heroine
- Rachel Bach ~ Paradox series (space opera: read Gail’s review)
- Alyssa Cole‘s ~ The Loyal League (civil war spies)
- Dhonielle Clayton ~ The Slection style YA (The Belles series)
- Claudia J. Edwards ~ Taming the Forest King (epic fantasy: read Gail’s review)
- Kate Elliott ~ Court of Fives (YA fantasy alt history: read Gail’s review)
- Feist & Wurts ~ Daughter of the Empire (political epic fantasy)
- Tanya Huff ~ Valor series (military space opera: read Gail’s review)
- Tamora Pierce ~ The Song of the Lioness series (YA epic fantasy)
A Small Sample Recommended by the Parasol Protectorate Facebook Group
Full listing here.
(Gail has grouped to the best of her ability)
- Mercy Thompson series by Patrica Briggs (First book: Moon Called)
- Carpathian series by Christine Feehan
- Chicagoland Vampires series by Chloe Neill
- Dead Iron by Devon Monk
- Demon series by Diana Rowland
- Red Death by P.N. Elrod
- All Men of Genius by Lev AC Rosen
- The Society of Steam series by Andrew P. Mayer
- Boneshaker by Cherie Priest
- Empire State by Adam Christopher
- Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences series by Pip Ballantine & Tee Morris
- Newbury & Hobbes series by George Mann
- Amelia Peabody series by Elizabeth Peters (mystery)
- Green Rider books by Kristen Britain (fantasy)
- Cold Magic by Kate Elliott (gaslight fantasy)
- Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ’s Childhood Pal by Christopher Moore (comedy)
- Want to see more?
- Full listing here.
- Want to add to the discussion? Please, join the Facebook Group.
Quote of the Day:
“The best of a book is not the thought which it contains, but the thought which it suggests; just as the charm of music dwells not in the tones but in the echoes of our hearts.”
~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Book links to a landing page for vendors for some of which I have an affiliate’s code. See website TOS.
Thanks for this list, Gail! A great supplement to the summer "to read" pile!