Hassock This! Gail Carriger Explains This Victorian Term (Special Extras)

This Week’s Weird Victorian Term Explained

What is the difference between a hassock, a tuffet, and a pouffe?

They are all basically the same thing: a footrest or stool that is covered and padded. In Victorian times the following distinction was drawn: a hassock is more likely to have feet and be square, a tuffet is usually round with feet like a covered stool, and a pouffe is round with no feet.

My mum, being the eccentric Brit that she is, is prone to referring to them all as poufftees.

Want more behind the scenes sneak peeks? Join the Chirrup


Your Tisane of Smart . . .
Victorian Parlour Games

Your Writerly Tinctures . . .
7 Commonly Corrected Grammar Errors (That Aren’t Mistakes)

Tags: , , ,

Posted by Gail Carriger

 Comments are closed

Comments are closed.

© 2023 Gail Carriger
Site built by Todd Jackson