The book basket comes to an end with one final installment. If you want to know what I’m on about the introduction to this idea is here.
1. Order signed from Borderlands (Definitely get your request in before Dec 15th, that’s the last time I’ll be able to get in to sign stock for them before the holidays.)
2. Source a vintage looking basket, possibly from a local thrift store
3. Fill with accompanying fun items, many of which might also be found at a thrift store
This basket is themed to Timeless and/or The Parasol Protectorate Omnibus Volume 2.
Timeless Egypt Themed Basket
- Alternative book option: Crocodile on the Sandbank
- For nesting: Black Chiffon Dangling Gold Coins Belly Dance Scarf
- Spiced tea (I prefer unsweetened chai)
- Egyptian influenced jewelry (like this Deco necklace or Bib Necklace or these Deco Fan Earrings
- Steampunk balloon jewelry
- Companion book: A Thousand Miles Up the Nile (bonus ~ this book is the source of Gail’s inspiration for the character of Alexia) or Steampunk Your Wardrobe: Easy Projects to Add Victorian Flair to Everyday Fashions
I’d like to reiterate that this doesn’t have to be done with my novels, I’m just the most familiar with them. It could be done with any fun book. I remember one young lady had a belly dance themed romance novel and include with it a teaching CD on how to belly dance, a coin belt, fun jewelry, and various other associated items. Have a younger reader on your list? Patricia Wrede’s excellent Enchanted Forest Chronicles: Dealing with Dragons / Searching for Dragons / Calling on Dragons / Talking to Dragons is on special as a box set for $16.29! But you’ll have to learn how to make Cherries Jubilee.
I think it’s a fun way to riff off of someone’s favorite read and can be made into a really nifty gift idea. It doesn’t have to marry to the theme of the book: if, for example, you’re gifting a romantic novel why not include it with a nice bottle of wine, a candle, some bubble bath, and a little box of chocolates? Steampunk novels are easy and fun, there’s so much good steampunk out there on Etsy and Clockwork Couture. A friend once gave me a cookbook complete with a set of cooking utensils, frying pan, spatula, pot, and mixing spoon ~ all mini sized. I just use google images “Gift Baskets” for ideas and ways to arrange. Here’s Zabar’s take. Better than a basket of soaps, I say!
I would be remiss if I did not remind you I have two short stores that make fun gifts, My Sister’s Song and Marine Biology. Buy, print out on fancy paper, roll and tie with a little ribbon add to the basket. Marine Biology is a contemporary paranormal romance, kind of like if Biffy and Lyall existed in the modern day.
Yes, I am trying hard to get you one more new short story up and available before the end of the year, but I simply must get this First Draft of Prudence done first! I hope you understand.
GAIL’S DAILY DOSE
Your Moment of Parasol . . .
1910 Lady’s Seminary Trip
Your Writerly Tinctures . . .
How to Finish Writing a Novel
Los Angeles Public Library picked Timeless as one of its Best Books of 2012. Their lists were also picked up by the Huffington Post.
Quote of the Day:
“Sleep ’til you’re hungry, eat ’til you’re sleepy.”
~ Author Unknown
I wish I'd known about that Steampunk Your Wardrobe book a few weeks ago! My hat hasn't turned out quite like I wanted, but it looks respectable. Just need to sew a buttonhole and add 2 buttons to my jacket and everything's ready for Saturday!