I love the idea, Gentle Reader, of blogging a bit about my other valentines. Of course, there is the AB and Lilliput, but you know how much I love them. (And they do too, I suspect.)
No, instead I want to tell you my other loves ~ 24 of them, to be precise. The ones that brighten my day in less intimate ways, as it were. These are loves I can share with you, Gentle Reader, in hopes that you find one or two loving, yourself. So here we go!
3 Blogger Crushes
- Grace Bonney ~ the brains behind Design Sponge
- The boys of the Lifehacker Travel Tag feed ~ yeah, I’m pretty sure it’s mostly boys, but I love their tips even if they aren’t always exactly travel related.
- The Airship Ambassador ~ a truly wonderful warm loving unifying force for the steampunk movement.
3 Author Crushes
- Janice Hardy ~ her blog always has something interesting to say about being a writer and how to get on with it.
- Myke Cole ~ one of my chronic convention drinking buddies, also a bang up decent human whose tweets are hilarious.
- Kristine Kathryn Rusch ~ a long running voice for authors in the field, hugely respected as both a writer, journalist, and promoter of writing as a business.
3 Fashion Crushes
- My swingy black coat from H&M ~ I’ve had it for many years now, found second hand, it needed a zipper repair and I just added a second one for a quirky look.
- OMG That Dress tumblr ~ still my favorite source for vintage clothing images.
- Couture Carrie blog ~ currently my top pock of fashion blogs that focuses on modern clothing.
3 Food Crushes
- Trader Joe’s Frozen Hash Brown Patties ~ I love them with an entirely unhealthy passion.
- Honey crisp apples ~ only the best eating apples on the planet, ’tis the season right now, eat them, eat them all!
- Treader Joe’s Multigrain Pita Chips with Sesame Seeds ~ what can I say, we do most of our grocery shopping at TJs, these are my crispy addiction.
3 Household Crushes
- Lilliput’s bar stool (similar) ~ scored this puppy at Ross for $40, a raising and lowering stool which, at the highest setting, is higher than our little dining table which means the cat would rather sit on it than on the table, success! She loves this thing, and, in a pinch we can lower it for extra seating when we have company. In an apartment our size everything has to serve double duty. I do feel like a fool buying a stool for my cat, though. Spoiled little bean.
- Our new toaster ~ this was a big decision and quite the investment but it may be the greatest toaster ever, it’s so fast and so good and so pretty and so small and so tidy.
- Dipping bowls ~ on a whim I bought 3 from Ikea and we used them so much the AB trotted into China Town and bought 4 more. One of the primary uses is to dip French toast into the maple syrup rather than poor it over, saves on cleaning the plate and the amount of syrup used.
3 App Crushes
- Repost ~ for Instagram. How did I gram without it?
- Tumblr ~ it has it’s flaws as a medium but I am happy flipping through pretty pictures over tea and reposting them on a whim. I like it much better than pinterest, instagram, or flikr, I know they aren’t comparable but if I have to pick one, it’s tumblr.
- Stylebook ~ still the best and only worthy handler for my vast closet, outfit planning, and packing.
3 Business Crushes
- Syncing statement dates ~ this is a weird one, but I found out recently (probably from Lifehacker) that you can change the dates upon which your credit card and bank statements are issued so that they all sink up and, basically, mirror the month. I took a morning to call them all up and sync them all and now all my bills come in at the same time, beginning of the month, this make little OCD me soo happy.
- The Digital Reader ~ one of the ways I stay in touch with what’s going on in the publishing industry.
- Google Calender ~ basically it runs my life, planning and scheduling since I can’t find a Gantt chart app works for me and integrates with a calendar. It’s going well, I anticipate betrayal.
3 Beauty Crushes
- Spa Girl Bath Bomb Fizzies (I like the fruity ones) ~ I bring these when I travel for use in hotel tubs, the smell lovely (so will my hotel room), travel easy through TSA, and I love a bath.
- Baking soda facials ~ I make a little paste of baking soda and cold water in the palm of my hand then rub over my face and wash off, once a month. It exfoliates a bit and leaves my skin feeling really smooth, no adverse reactions or anything
- CloSYS Alcohol Free Mouthwash ~ I HATE mouthwash, it makes me gag, this stuff has very little resemblance to what one would ordinarily expect, and I won’t say I love it, but at least I use it.
Special mention goes to…
Any gif showing inter-species affection or a cat beating up a dog/baby. Don’t ask me why, I just find it hilarious. Secretly, I am both more corny and more cruel than you would expect. Or not?
You’re in material affection,