My dear Gentle Reader, you have been waiting so patiently and I am delighted to reward you with, the cover art for…
The Custard Protocol: Book One
Coming March 17, 2015
|Photo by Shirley Green, Illustration by Don Sipley, Design by Lauren Panepinto|
The inevitable questions…
- When when when? March 17, 2015. Yes they bumped me forward on an accelerated schedule.
- Wait, are you done with the manuscript then? Nope. I still haven’t even started the rewrites. They are banking on me making all my deadlines. Yes, the pressure is on. Eeep!
- What format? Hard cover! Those little cute trade size hard covers. I know, I’m excited to.
- Ebook? Should drop at the same time.
- Audiobook? I don’t know.
- Is this YA? Nope, not intentionally, but most of my stuff works for most ages.
- Will this book feature Alexia? No. There may be a tiny glimpse of her, but that’s it.
- (One from Lord Akeldama) What does Prudence think she looks like on that cover? Wait for it.
- Wait, does that mean Lord Akeldama is in this book? Have I every written a series that lacks a little Lord Akeldama? He’s sort of the omniscient narrative representative of myself.
More questions? Ask them below, but I won’t answer spoilers.
Custard Protocol, you say?
I’ll leave you with my new favorite amazing custard pie recipe. Possibly the most simple desert custard ever. It makes its own crust, like magic! (Original recipe from which I tinkered.)
Coconut Custard Pie
2 cups milk (whole or sub in part cream or half/half if you’re feeling decadent)
8 Tablespoons melted unsalted butter (sub in coconut oil if you like, I did it 4 tbsp of each)
3/4 cup sugar (I’ll be dropping this to 2/3 next time, I don’t like stuff too sweet)
1 cup shredded coconut (raw unsweetened)
4 large eggs
1/2 cup flour (next time I plan to try 1/4 almond meal, 1/4 flour)
2 teaspoons vanilla
dash of salt
1/4 nutmeg for top (I’ll use cinnamon next time)
- Preheat oven to 350F, set center rack.
- Melt butter but not too hot, I set mine on top of the warming stove as I assembled ingredients.
- Put all ingredients into blender and blend thoroughly.
- Pour into greased and floured 9″ pie plate. (I used a deep dish, steeper sides, taller, non stick)
Bake @ 350F degrees for 45 minutes.
- Pie puffs and turned a dark golden brown.
- Remove even if center is slightly jiggly (as with quiche, you don’t want to overcook the custard). As it cools it will deflate.
- Enjoy warm or cold, tasters said they thought it tasted even better next day.
The flour element settles down and forms a crust, the coconut rises and toasts at the top. It’s amazing! I hate to make pastry, so this pie really impressed me. I plan to try next with added 1/4 cup of high-end dark unsweetened coco powder, and maybe a dollop of booze. I do love tinkering.
GAIL’S DAILY DOSE
Your Moment of Parasol . . .
Your Infusion of Cute . . .
Your Tisane of Smart . . .
The Gentlewoman at Dinner
Your Writerly Tinctures . . .
9 Famous Authors Rejected by Publishers
Quote of the Day:
“I think it’s fair rude to make him a tree and not know what kind he is.”
~ Tamora Pierce, Wolf-SpeakerTags: Cover, Custard Protocol, PRUDENCE, Tea & Victorian Food
Wonderful cover, Gail, can't wait to read the book!
I am so excited for this and the cover is great!
Eeehhhh! I am SO excited. The cover made my heart go pitter patter! No one can write the amazing combination of steampunk and comedy like you!
I'm so excited! Can we preorder it anywhere?
Squeeeeee! Well worth waiting for, and I know the book will be too! I do love the gear trim on her hat, and the hat itself, for that matter – I gotta make me one of those.
I am all a twitter about how excited you all are, dear readers! I'll be thrilled to deliver this little book into your waiting hands 🙂
Thank you for inquiring! Prudence is not available for pre-order yet, however I will let you guys know via an announcement when it is! Stay tuned!
Yes yes yes YES. This is the best news. My week has been horrid and now this golden news. Oh god I need to fan myself before I swoon.
WOW! Gorgeous!!! I cannot wait, cannot wait, cannot wait.
Really, one of these days I must get your signature on at least one of the every-book-I-have-of-yours collection here on my bookshelves.
It's a lovely cover and I am looking forward to your next series.
I'm so excited for this! The cover is BEAUTIFUL!
Was the intention with the pink coloring to match Soulless? Or is it just a happy accident? 🙂 Super excited to read this and TWO more Finishing School books!
Soo much pretty!!! I can't wait to get my little mitts on this one. Thank you for the preview. And, I really would love to own that hat 🙂 xXx
How exciting! I sure hope they go forward with an audiobook, your writing translates so well to audio (not every author can say that either). Really looking forward to the release date no matter what.
OMG THIS COVER!! Just when I think you've had your best, you get an even better one! The designers outdo themselves.
Yay for a release date!! Cannot wait!! Happy revising, and good luck with your deadlines – we're rooting for you! <3
I discovered you on Audible and always get both. I love to read and listen to your books.
I tried the coconut custard pie recipe last night. It is just like you described – simple to make, with a delicious outcome.
Thank-you for sharing this recipe with us. I must ask – did your recipe adaptations work ?
I am so very looking forward to reading "Prudence"