Hello my dear Gentle Reader! I’m back. OK so you didn’t even notice I was gone.
But I did pay a short visit to a local convention, Convolution, this last Saturday. It was pretty low key with an excellent greenroom and good company. I didn’t stay for the parties. I did get to meet GOH Tanya Huff. She is marvelous. It was my third time meeting her. (She doesn’t remember me ~ see it happens to me too!) Anyway, managed to ascertain that there would be no follow up to The Silvered. I may pick that for a read along next year, although it is quite violent.
Now, here for your amusement is a glimpse into my brain: some book recs from my first panel.
Steaming Outside Victorian London
Alt. history same time period:
- Scott Westerfeld,
- Cherie Priest,
- The Native Star – M.K. Hobson,
- Pillars of Hercules by David Constantine,
- Ministry Of Peculiar Occurrences ref New Zealand,
- non-books League of S.T.E.A.M.
- possibly Murdoch Mysteries(?).
- Also got onto the subject of the Antikythera devise (featured in in Curious Case).
History shift location:
- A Nomad of the Time Streams by Michael Moorcock has some in China,
- The Anubis Gates has Egypt,
- non-fiction Daughters of the Empire,
- movie Castle in the Sky and
- TV series Last Exile.
I want to know: What if the Inka has steam technology? Others on the panel wanted to bring on the seapunk.
Off world: Clockwork Heart, Tobias Buckell, some Terry Pratchett, non-books Space 1889 RPG and Galaxy 999 out of Japan.
We also got into a heated discussion about whether people are less gullible now than 100 years ago. I promised that I would email More or Less for a statistical answer. I have done so and I will keep an ear to the podcast and let you know if they decide to answer me.
Want more behind the scenes sneak peeks? Join the Chirrup
GAIL’S DAILY DOSE
Your Writerly Tinctures . . .
|Lilliput sits on my story bibles|
Quote of the Day:
“When he talked the conversation was all on his side.”
~ Around the Tea Table by T. De Witt Talmage (1875)