12 days until Christmas, Gentle Reader, if that’s your thing. Here is a bit of fun from the Finishing School Tumblr.
Here are 5 other things I love right now:
1. Romance Novels for Feminists blog: Fun, insightful, engaging reviews and romance recommendations from a feminist stance. Not an attack, more an analysis, as the blog focuses on books she likes rather than all the ones that are getting things wrong. I’m not often interested in buying the books recommended, but I always enjoy reading the review.
2. Broaden the mind and be entertained, an oldie but a goodie, youtube music video of Bad Romance parody: Women’s Suffrage. Every time I watch it the end note makes me cry, in a good way. Want more? International Woman Suffrage Timeline. I also enjoyed both Iron Jawed Angels and Suffragette.
3. Trader Joe’s Soup Dumplings. From the frozen food section. Yes they’ve got like half the day’s allotment of salt and they aren’t as good as the fresh ones from a restaurant, but they are pretty darn tasty, relatively low caloric, and ready in 3 minutes. In my world these are the PERFECT midwinter lunch with a little side salad or some greens. Best of all the AB doesn’t like them at all, so they are all mine! Eating the whole package feels decadent but really isn’t so bad. Win win.
4. & 5. These Two Cakes:
- Crustless White Chocolate Cheesecake. I made mine with added lemon rind.
- Dark Chocolate Orange Almond Cake.
Both are naturally GF, which is to say the original recipe never called for flour. I’m not GF myself, but that doesn’t mean a good cake can’t be eggy and delicious.
Bonus 12 Gift Ideas For Gail Carriger Fans:
1. Octopus Cookie Cutter ($6).
2. Octopus necklace ($7) for any member of the OBO who doesn’t want to get a tattoo.
3. Octopus Bottle Stopper ($12) for those who prefer wine over tea.
4. 1800s Balloon Art Airship Stainless Steel ID or Cigarettes Case ($14). This is the airship design that the Flywaymen air dinghies are based off of in the Finishing School series.
Or if you’re buying for a big OBO Madame Lefoux fan, the same company makes versions of this case with octopus on the cover.
5. Lace overlay parasol (not good for rain) $13, comes in range of colors.
6. Wonderful Ocean Octopus Nightlight ($18) that I might have to buy for my office. So cute! Perhaps Quesnel had one of these while a child.
7. Stone Octopus Coaster ($25).
8. Tentacles Wall Decal Sticker ($30).
9. Lucky Ladybug Shaped Teapot ($18). For Primrose to serve tea aboard the Spotted Custard.
10. My favorite tea, Twinings 1706 Strong ($12).
11. Bumbersnoot necklace $23-35