My dear Gentle Reader,
This one if for authors/writers who are interested in publishing & marketing their books.
This post is part of my occasional FAQ series where I endeavor to answer questions I get asked all the time. (Mainly so I have a perma-link to point people at in future.)
Below I list the blogs and podcasts I find most useful as a hybrid author (including those related to indie and self publishing). I recommend picking episodes/posts based on topic.
(I keep this list as updated as possible.)
My Top Blogs for Authors
- Goodreads Authors & Advertisers Blog – died Nov 2020
- Build Book Buzz
- Elizabeth Spann Craig
- Just Publishing Advice for Writers and Authors
- Kristine Kathryn Rusch
- Smart Blogger
- The Blood-Red Pencil
- The Book Designer
- Fiction University (was The Other Side of the Story) – hiatus Nov 2021
- Writer Beware
- Writer Unboxed
Gail consumes her blogs via Feedly.
Podcasts I Listen to Because I am an Author
Some of these are podfaded, but you can still pick back eps by subject and dive in, so leave the links live.
- AskAlli: Self-Publishing Advice Podcast
- The Author Biz (podfade)
- The Book Marketing Action Podcast
- Bound By Books
- Call Number with American Libraries Podcast
- The Creative Penn (indie & futurist focused)
- Go Publish Yourself from IngramSpark (podfade)
- The Everyday Novelist (scifi, indie, craft focused)
- Inside Independent Publishing (with IBPA)
- Kobo Writing Life Podcast
- Shows from the Murverse (Ditch Diggers & I Should Be Writing podcasts – traditional publishing sf/f bent)
- Novel Marketing
- Open Book Besties
- Print Run Podcast (2 agents’ perspective, traditional publishing only)
- The Rebel Author podcast
- The Sell More Books Show
- Stark Reflections on Writing and Publishing (industry insider)
Science Fiction & Fantasy Marketing Podcast(podfade) The Self Publishing Podcast(podfade) The Smarty Pants Book Marketing Podcast(defunk but some good backlist)
- SPA Girls Podcast
- Sell More Books Show
- Unstoppable Authors (self pub)
- The Writer’s Mindset
- Writers, Ink (author interview focused)
Gail consumes her podcasts using Overcast.
Gail’s pinterest board Writer Education is full of more recommended resources for authors.
BOOK DE JOUR
- Tired of the hero’s journey?
- Frustrated that funny, romantic, and comforting stories aren’t taken seriously?
- Sad that the books and movies you love never seem to be critically acclaimed, even when they sell like crazy?
The Heroine’s Journey is here to help.
Multiple New York Times bestselling author Gail Carriger presents a clear concise analysis of the heroine’s journey, how it differs from the hero’s journey, and how you can use it to improve your writing and your life.
Your Tisane of Smart . . .
Your Writerly Tinctures . . .
Curiosity Killed the Bookworm says of Prudence:
“Gail’s characters are so much fun…”
Quote of the Day:
“She reads books as one would breathe air, to fill up and live.”
~ Annie Dillard
Find Gail’s books are on:20 Minute Delay Podcast, Important For Authors