My dear Gentle Reader,
This one if for authors/writers who are interested in publishing & marketing their books.
This post is part of my occasional FAQ series where I endeavor to answer questions I get asked all the time. (Mainly so I have a perma-link to point people at in future.)
Below I list the blogs and podcasts I find most useful as a hybrid author (including those related to indie and self publishing). I recommend picking episodes/posts based on topic.
(I keep this list as updated as possible.)
My Top Blogs for Authors
- Goodreads Authors & Advertisers Blog
- Build Book Buzz
- Elizabeth Spann Craig
- Just Publishing Advice for Writers and Authors
- Kristine Kathryn Rusch
- Nathan Bransford
- Smart Blogger
- The Blood-Red Pencil
- The Book Designer
- Fiction University (was The Other Side of the Story)
- Writer Beware
- Writer Unboxed
Gail consumes her blogs via Feedly.
As always, you don’t have to take my word for it:
My Top Podcasts for Authors
Some of these are podfaded, but pick back eps by subject and dive in.
- The Author Biz podcast (possibly podfade)
- The Creative Penn podcast (indie focused)
- The Murverse Annex (Ditch Diggers & I Should Be Writing podcasts – traditional scifi bent)
- Novel Marketing podcast
- Stark Reflections on Writing and Publishing (industry insider)
Science Fiction & Fantasy Marketing Podcast(podfade) The Self Publishing Podcast(podfade) The Smarty Pants Book Marketing Podcast(defunk but some good backlist)
- Go Publish Yourself from IngramSpark
- Sell More Books Show
- The Everyday Novelist (scifi, indie, craft focused)
Here’s some more recent recommendations (2022).
Gail consumes her podcasts using Overcast.
More podcast suggestions?
Gail’s pinterest board Writer Education is full of more recommended resources for authors.
BOOK DE JOUR
- Tired of the hero’s journey?
- Frustrated that funny, romantic, and comforting stories aren’t taken seriously?
- Sad that the books and movies you love never seem to be critically acclaimed, even when they sell like crazy?
The Heroine’s Journey is here to help.
Multiple New York Times bestselling author Gail Carriger presents a clear concise analysis of the heroine’s journey, how it differs from the hero’s journey, and how you can use it to improve your writing and your life.
Your Tisane of Smart . . .
Your Writerly Tinctures . . .
Curiosity Killed the Bookworm says of Prudence:
“Gail’s characters are so much fun…”
Quote of the Day:
“She reads books as one would breathe air, to fill up and live.”
~ Annie Dillard20 Minute Delay Podcast, Important For Authors