Hello Gentle Reader,
Here, for you entertainment, amusement and titillation are a few links and peeks into some of the research that I had to do for Competence, Custard Protocol #3. I do hope you enjoy!
- History Extra Podcast: Victorian Medicine
- Dressed Podcast: Jewelry of Sentiment (Hair Work Jewelry History Part 1, Crafting Part 2) , Queen Alexandria‘s history via her clothing
Blog Posts & Other Articles
- Dracula: vampires, perversity & Victorian anxieties
- Statues of Lioness Goddess Unearthed in Egypt
- A Victorian Lady’s Guide to Cleaning Dresses of Muslin, Silk, Velvet, & Lace
- Basic Hairstyles for Victorian Women of Moderate Means
What was the inspiration for setting Miss Primrose Tunstell in Singapore?
I was at the Singapore Writers Festival a few years ago and just fell in love with the place.
I also visited the National History Museum there and picked up a little book of collected primary source material from the 1890s that isn’t available elsewhere.
Then I promised the Minister of Culture Sim Ann (who is a fan of mine – squee!) that I would put it in the next book. I like to keep my promises.
Want a taste of Singapore’s infamous Kaya Toast? Just get this coconut jam (actually coconut curd) and spread on toast with salted butter (it’s not exactly right but it’s still so good).
Warning, must love coconut.
Yours forever (in coconutty goodness),
- Did you miss my latest release announcement? Want to know what I’m working on right now? This stuff goes to my Chirrup members, because I love them bestest. Sign up here.
- Not into newsletters? Get only new releases by following Gail on Amazon or BookBub!
- Coop de Book for July is Competence, of course. (Discussion here.)
COMING JULY 17!
SIGNED edition, use the SIGNED button
Competence by Gail Carriger is the third in the Custard Protocol series featuring Primrose, Rue, and all their crazy friends..
All alone in Singapore, proper Miss Primrose Tunstell must steal helium to save her airship, the Spotted Custard, in a scheme involving a lovesick werecat and a fake fish tail.
- Soulless special illustrated hardcover edition!
Out September 18, 2018
Featuring 10 original line drawings by the talented Jensine Eckwall.
- The Omega Objection ~ The San Andreas Shifters Book 2
Coming November 2018
A werewolf walks into a bar and falls in love with a man who has no smell.
Add this book on Goodreads.
- Need to know what Gail is writing right now? That’s in the Chirrup.
GAIL’S DAILY DOSE
Your Moment of Parasol . . .
Your Infusion of Cute . . .
Your Tisane of Smart . . .
Your Writerly Tinctures . . .
Quote of the Day:
“Fish, to taste right, must swim three times – in water, in butter, and in wine.”
~ Polish Proverbcustard protocol, special extras