The Great Parasolvere Read Along reread this story to launch the event, January 1~6, 2019.
The Curious Case short story
I don’t have many blog posts on this one. It’s just a short story featuring Alexia’s crafty father, Alessandro Tarabotti, in his assassin for the Templars days. It also showcases mummies, werewolves, and well-preserved felines and is the first hint I gave my readers that there were OTHER kinds of shape shifters.
(TO SAY NOTHING OF THE MUMMY THAT WAS AND THE CAT IN THE JAR)
Alessandro Tarabotti and his valet, Floote, are on a mission in Egypt when they encounter visiting tourists and the situation turns to mummies. What is Alessandro’s real mission and will his Aunt Archangelica approve of his treatment of her cat?
If you have ever wondered about Alexia’s father, this will give you a glimpse into his adventures, character, and romantic interests.
- This is a Quick read: 9000 words ~ 15 pages.
- Available in print form as a special extra at the back of Romancing the Werewolf.
- First published online (2012), reprint in The Book of the Dead (2013), Mammoth Book of the Mummy (2017) and Clockwork Cairo (2017).
This is the only installment of its kind, I had always planned to write more snippets of Alessandro’s life. Perhaps I still will.
Things Pertaining to This Story
- Alessandro Tarabotti. A good guy? A bad guy? We don’t know. All we know by the time he turns up in the Parasol Protectorate is that he is both Italian and dead.
- I did know about Alessandro’s history with a certain beta werweolf when I wrote this story.
- The tomb is based on the Middle Kingdom one modeled in the Rosicrucian Egyptian Museum in San Jose. I worked there for several years and used to give the tours of the tomb.
- Are you interested in more about Alexia’s father? Check out Alessandro Tarabotti’s Pinterest board.
- And here is a Pinterest board with visual inspiration for this particular story.
This was not the story’s original cover. You can read all about my cover art experience the first time around in this blog post.
I switched away from drawn art because none of my other covers are like that and I wanted to stay on brand. Also I discovered Evan Butterfield‘s shoot of his model Vincent and fell in love. I actually own the rights to Vincent’s whole gallery, just in case I want to write more Alessandro I have the same cover model ready to go.
Sneaky Gail Is Sneaky
- Is there a hint about Alessandro meeting Lyall in this story?
- Who did Floote fight it Scotland, and might it account for his latter tendencies towards shooting a certain someone?
- Remember the name Phinkerlington… it’s going to show up again, a long ways down the line.
Super special giveaway in this weekend’s Chirrup…
Only 10 of these miss-printed UK editions of Waistcoats & Weaponry exist in the world, and you will have the opportunity to win one of them.
Yours in spinal misspellings,
- Did you want more behind the scenes info? This stuff goes to my Chirrup members, because I love them bestest. Sign up here.
- Not into newsletters? Get only new releases by following Gail on Amazon or BookBub!
“Carriger manages to give these guys a lot of layers and depth, while still giving the story some lightness and fun.”
- The 5th Gender (a Tinkered Stars sci-fi as G. L. Carriger). No links as yet…
- Reticence, The 4th and final Custard Protocol book. August 6, 2019
- Secret Project Ommm, October 2019 to celebrate the 10th Anniversary of Soulless.
- Need to know what Gail is writing right now? That’s in the Chirrup.
GAIL’S DAILY DOSE
Your Infusion of Cute . . .
Your Tisane of Smart . . .
Your Writerly Tinctures . . .
Quote of the Day:
“Everything in the world is about sex except sex. Sex is about power.”
~ Oscar WildeCoop de Book, Parasol Protectorate, Short Story, Special Extras