Etiquette & Espionage released in
February of 2013
Here are some fun blog posts and resources that tie to this book, Gentle Reader. Research I conducted plus chattering and amusement on the subject of this series and moving into the world of YA.
This story features Sophronia who is recruited to a finishing school for spies located in a dirigible. There, young ladies of quality are taught to finish everything – and everyone – as needed.
Etiquette & Espionage came out in 2013 and was a New York Times and Locus bestseller, was nominated for the Sakura Medal (Japan – 2015) and a Goodreads Choice Award (2013), made YALSA’s Best Fiction for Young Adults list (2014), the ALA’s Notable Books for Children List (2014), top 10 YALSA’s Amazing Audiobooks for Young Adults List (2014), and won the Prix Elbakin Award (France- 2014).
Writing Etiquette & Espionage
This is the first book I wrote intentionally for a Young Adult market. It is not, however, my first YA book. I have a number of others in my proverbial trunk, unpublished.
Things Pertaining to This Book
Research & Other Fun Behind the Scenes Tidbits
- Flirtation or… Espionage? Miss Gail’s Research on Victorian Spies
- In Which Miss Gai Visits a Shooting Range in the Interest of Research
- Sophronia’s Moors in Etiquette & Espionage
- The Etiquette of Proper Introductions in Victorian Times
- 5 Questions of Victorian Conversation & Etiquette Including THE CUT DIRECT
- Guest Presentation For the Intellectual Salon ~ Espionage in the Aether
- Victorians, Werewolves, and Spies, Oh, My!
- What Most Men Get Wrong When Writing Teenage Girls
- The Finishing School Pinterest board
- Blog posts specific to Etiquette & Espionage.
- Here’s the tumblr Little Brown made for the Finishing School. (Incidentally, this is the reason I got on Tumblr.)
- Here is the book trailer that they made for me…
- You can download a free schematic map of the school.
- And there is an educator’s guide for this series for free as well.
Here’s a guide on what to do when you’re highjacked by flywaymen.
Read Along Questions!
Who is your favorite character from these books?
Who’s story arc do you enjoy the most?
Who surprised you?
What was the most shocking reveal from this first book?
- Any cross over characters surprises? Who were you shocked to see show up and who did you want to see but didn’t?
I hope you enjoyed this starter pack and if you are new to the Finishing School Series… WELCOME!
Yours in not-so-secret,
Did you want more behind the scenes info? This stuff goes to my Chirrup members, because I love them bestest. Sign up here.
Here’s the read along schedule made pretty for the UK folks (reverse dates).
Twirling Book Princess says:
“Eeeeeeeee! This was just too perfect, too sweet, to wonderful. Featuring Tank, a werewolf we have seen before in the earlier books, and a new guy, Isaac, also a werewolf (but not out of the werewolf closet as I would call it). These two will get together and melt your heart away with cute moments, sweet scenes. But that isn’t the only thing that you will see in this book.”
- The 5th Gender (a Tinkered Stars sci-fi as G. L. Carriger). No links as yet…
- Reticence, The 4th and final Custard Protocol book. August 6, 2019
- Secret Project Ommm, October 2019 to celebrate the 10th Anniversary of Soulless.
- Need to know what Gail is writing right now? That’s in the Chirrup.
GAIL’S DAILY DOSE
Your Infusion of Cute . . .
Your Tisane of Smart . . .
Your Writerly Tinctures . . .
Quote of the Day:
“It’s reminiscent of seaweed, old ashtrays, used bandaids, and a head-butt. . . . Y’know, subtle.”
~ Overheard in Borderlands Books, from their awesome occasional blogCoop de Book, ETIQUETTE & ESPIONAGE, Finishing School, Special Extras