Etiquette & Espionage released in
February of 2013
Here are some fun blog posts and resources that tie to this book, Gentle Reader. Research I conducted plus chattering and amusement on the subject of this series and moving into the world of YA.
This story features Sophronia who is recruited to a finishing school for spies located in a dirigible. There, young ladies of quality are taught to finish everything – and everyone – as needed.
Etiquette & Espionage came out in 2013 and was a New York Times and Locus bestseller, was nominated for the Sakura Medal (Japan – 2015) and a Goodreads Choice Award (2013), made YALSA’s Best Fiction for Young Adults list (2014), the ALA’s Notable Books for Children List (2014), top 10 YALSA’s Amazing Audiobooks for Young Adults List (2014), and won the Prix Elbakin Award (France- 2014).
Writing Etiquette & Espionage
This is the first book I wrote intentionally for a Young Adult market. It is not, however, my first YA book. I have a number of others in my proverbial trunk, unpublished.
Things Pertaining to This Book
Research & Other Fun Behind the Scenes Tidbits
- Flirtation or… Espionage? Miss Gail’s Research on Victorian Spies
- In Which Miss Gai Visits a Shooting Range in the Interest of Research
- How Does the Peerage Work in the Parasolverse?
- Sophronia’s Moors in Etiquette & Espionage
- The Etiquette of Proper Introductions in Victorian Times
- 5 Questions of Victorian Conversation & Etiquette Including THE CUT DIRECT
- Guest Presentation For the Intellectual Salon ~ Espionage in the Aether
- Victorians, Werewolves, and Spies, Oh, My!
- Word Matters Postcast: The Language of Spy and Detective Stories
- The Finishing School Pinterest board
- Blog posts specific to Etiquette & Espionage.
- Here’s the tumblr Little Brown made for the Finishing School. (Incidentally, this is the reason I got on Tumblr.)
- Here is the book trailer that they made for me…
- You can download a free schematic map of the school.
- And there is an educator’s guide for this series for free as well.
Here’s a guide on what to do when you’re highjacked by flywaymen.
Who is your favorite character from these books?
Who’s story arc do you enjoy the most?
Who surprised you?
What was the most shocking reveal from this first book?
- Any cross over characters surprises? Who were you shocked to see show up and who did you want to see but didn’t?
GAIL’S DAILY DOSE
Your Infusion of Cute . . .
Your Tisane of Smart . . .
Your Writerly Tinctures . . .
Quote of the Day:
Coop de Book, ETIQUETTE & ESPIONAGE, Finishing School, Special Extras
“It’s reminiscent of seaweed, old ashtrays, used bandaids, and a head-butt. . . . Y’know, subtle.”