Waistcoats & Weaponry released in
November of 2014
Here are some fun blog posts and resources that tie to this book. I’m including research I did, plus chattering on the subject of designing the dress and bladed fan on the cover.
Sophronia, her best friend Dimity, sweet sootie Soap, and the charming Lord Felix Mersey hijack a suspiciously empty train to return their chum Sidheag to her werewolf pack in Scotland.
Waistcoats & Weaponry was a New York Times bestseller, long list nominee for the Teen Choice Book award (2014), nominated for a Locus award (2015), was one of Amazon’s “most anticipated” Fall Release in Science Fiction & Fantasy (2015), received a top honor on the YALSA Amazing Audiobooks List (2016), and won the Steampunk Chronicle’s Reader’s Choice Award (2015).
Writing Waistcoats & Weaponry
W&W was originally titled Deportment & Deceit, but my publisher decided they didn’t like that title. I’m not sure why. Possibly too long a first word? Wouldn’t type set nicely? Too hard for American audiences?
So we changed it. I very rarely fuss about such things.
Speaking of Titles
You can see how with that restriction, Waistcoats doesn’t quite fit (it’s an article of clothing but nothing really to do with polite society). However, it is apt to this book, as this is the one mostly centered on the boys. Or caused by boy issues.
The second word in the titles should be something spy or secretive (Espionage, Conspiracies, Deceit –> Weaponry, Mutiny).
Another fun cover tidbit, did you notice the model changed?
Yeah the second two books in the series have a different cover model.
I helped pick them both, actually. But the second one looks a bit more like I imagined Sophronia, although I genuinely like them both.
Few people seemed to notice or complain. In fact, I got more complaints about Donna changing during the course of the Parasol series, when, in fact that really is EXACTLY the same model on all five books.
Back to Waistcoats & Weaponry
I happen to be a particularly huge fan of this cover. Probably because I had the most influence over it. That’s MY FAN she’s holding, I asked for her hair to be up, for her dress be exactly as described in the book, and they listened!
Also I love love love the color. I’m a huge fan of greens and teals. So good.
You seem to agree with me as this is the most popular cover, by fan vote, in the FS series. Although I haven’t run this poll since the illustrated edition of Soulless, the most recent Custard Protocol books, or the novellas.
Perhaps we will do another cover vote sometime.
Things Pertaining to This Book
- Blog posts pertaining to Waistcoats & Weaponry
- Waistcoats & Weaponry Breaking Down the Cover ~ Sophronia’s Fan
- Dressing Sophronia From the Corset Up
- Further Thoughts on Writing 1850s Victorian Fashion
Here’s the sketch I did for Sophronia Masquerade dress that ends upon the cover of the book. I was very into Ombre at the time. You can take a Peek at Sophronia’s Dress Design Process over on Retro Rack.
Waistcoats & Weaponry partly came by its name because it is the book that deals with the boys and their histories, quandaries, and mistakes.
Or some boys.
Or the boy thread is key to the plot.
Because I get asked quite a bit, and they all never really appear in any of the books here the the list of Sophronia’s and her siblings:
Just a reminder there is merch for this series! Including this Team Soap shirt (which works on so many levels)… All the t-shirts in my merch shop can be changed in size, color, and shirt shape. So yes, you can get this of a man, or in blue, or as a hoodie, or…
Some more fashion for this book…
- Waistcoats & Weaponry Cover Art Dresses Turquoise & Teal
- A Quiz! Match the Finishing School Character to Her Dress? And then the answers.
- Fans For Sophronia ~ A Historical Retrospective
- Fan Influenced Imagery & Fashionable Items
- Fans that Aren’t Fans for Sophronia
- The 1850s Were All About Plaid, for Sidheag Maccon
In Other News!
Recently I met a Picklewoman with a Bumbersnoot in Seattle…
I got very excited by the Bumbersnoot!
I do hope you enjoy Waistcoats & Weaponry!
Yours in ombre,
- Want more sneak peeks, free goodies, gossip, behind the scenes info? This stuff goes to my Chirrup members, because I love them bestest. Sign up here.
- Not into newsletters? Get only new releases by following Gail on Amazon or BookBub!
Can a gentle giant with a trampled heart
show a man who’s been running all his life that
sometimes there are monsters worth running towards?
- The 5th Gender (a Tinkered Stars sci-fi as G. L. Carriger).
- Reticence, The 4th and final Custard Protocol book. August 6, 2019
- Secret Project Ommm, October 2019 to celebrate the 10th Anniversary of Soulless.
- Need to know what Gail is writing right now? That’s in the Chirrup.
GAIL’S DAILY DOSE
Your Infusion of Cute . . .
Your Tisane of Smart . . .
Your Writerly Tinctures . . .
Right now my store is having a 40% off t-shirts sale with Promo Code: ZFEBLOVEZAZZ You can customize the color, size, and style of any shirt in my shop. (Of course you can, whatcha take me for?)
Quote of the Day:
Coop de Book, Finishing School, Special Extras, WAISTCOATS & WEAPONRY