Here’s Some Costumes in Detail
- Is portrayed by the amazing teacher of this course, the lovely Natalie, who relayed to me all the images and the stories from behind the sewings!
- One of the students challenged her to make a costume too. It was made in three days with student help.
- The hat holds makeup brushes, a fork, spoon, and eyelash curler.
- Based design off a line in E&E that mentions a crimson top hat.
- Sewed the trousers from scratch!
- Coat made from scratch!
- Carries all the keys to the school on belt.
- The corset got lots of love proving that there may be a little of Lord Akeldama in all of us.
- Not pictured is “The Tassel Mobile” a scooter covered top to bottom in upholstery tassels.
Neither Teacher nor Student
- The Pickleman’s hat was made using cardboard and fabric
- Non-canon creative embellishment: The green epaulettes signify rank. Four loops means very high up.
- Coat and inside of the hat are filled with various tools.
- Made an obstructor as well!
- There wasn’t a student in the class of African descent, but this young man is Korean and related to Soap.
- Has a bag on his hip with a bottle of soap in it.
“When we arrived at tea, he sat by the fire place and would not move until invited to sit by Mademoiselle Geraldine herself. He also kept pocketing sandwiches and scones.”
Which just about broke my heart.
- The skirt is hand-tufted and the burgundy lace is a subtle nod to vampire ties.
- Non-canon creative embellishment: Epaulette is one only allowed to older girls, when she was demoted, her’s was removed. She stole it back and reattached (which is why it looks a little tattered).
- The crinoline has 50 yards of tulle in it.
- Bodice and skirt are hand-painted!
- Has several silver details, in case one of the uncles loses control.
- The epaulettes hide three wooden spikes.
- Made one dress out of two because Sophronia was always making over her sister’s dresses.
- Straps down the front of the skirt can buckle and shorted it for climbing.
- Wanted to embrace a bold color palette.
- Hat is affectionately called “The Panty Hat.” (Ordered a corset that wasn’t used. It arrived with a matching thong. The group had a lot of laughs about how Dmity would feel about having a thong. Ultimately, it got made it into a hat and some of the lace also went on the glasses
I have to say this last made me giggle. We used to do something called “iron chef cosplay” at conventions. It was usually:
Gail’s chums make a hat out of anything on this table (in the hotel room) using a hot glue gun, because Gail was an idiot and forgot her hat… again.
This tiny admirals hat was made using a BayCon program, a paper cup, a stapler, scraps of fabric, undies, a badge, and a hot glue gun. Over 25 years ago. It’s still in good working condition.
- Did you want more behind the scenes info? This stuff goes to my Chirrup members, because I love them bestest. Sign up here.
- Not into newsletters? Get only new releases by following Gail on Amazon or BookBub!
Can a gentle giant with a trampled heart
show a man who’s been running all his life that
sometimes there are monsters worth running towards?
- The 5th Gender (a Tinkered Stars sci-fi as G. L. Carriger).
- Reticence, The 4th and final Custard Protocol book. August 6, 2019
- Secret Project Ommm, October 2019 to celebrate the 10th Anniversary of Soulless.
- Need to know what Gail is writing right now? That’s in the Chirrup.
GAIL’S DAILY DOSE
Your Infusion of Cute . . .
Your Tisane of Smart . . .
Your Writerly Tinctures . . .
Quote of the Day: