The Great Parasolverse read along continues with Soulless the creature THAT STARTED IT ALL. Soulless’s 10th birthday is this year!
released in October of 2009, and is the first book I ever got published. It is NOT the first book I wrote.
Here are some (of the MANY) fun blog posts and resources that tie to this book. Research I did, chattering and amusement on the subject of starting my publishing journey and more.
Alexia Tarabotti is laboring under a great many social tribulations.
- First, she has no soul.
- Second, she’s a spinster whose father is both Italian and dead.
- Third, she is being rudely attacked by a vampire to whom she has not been properly introduced!
Soulless was a New York Times and Locus bestseller; Publishers Weekly Best Book (2009); made IndieBound November 2009 Notables, Audible.com Best of 2010, and Locus Recommended Reading First Novel lists; was an Audible.com Top 20 Sleeper Hit; was nominated for the John W. Campbell (2010) and Compton Crook (2010) awards; was a finalist for the Locus Award for Best First Novel (2010) and PEARL Award in the New Author Category (2009), and won an Alex Award from the American Library Association.
Things Pertaining to SOULLESS
The Beginning from the Author’s Side
I’ve talked in person a lot about how I don’t really start writing a book until I have a “scene epiphany” this isn’t always (or even often) the first scene in a book. And I don’t always remember which one it is. But I DO remember which one it was for Soulless, this one…
Extra Character Fodder
- The Mad Hatter Interviews Alexia, Conall & Lord Akeldama
- Tart Talk with Alexia & Jane ~ Tempest in a Teapot
- Tart Talk ~ In Which Jane And Alexia Avoid the Stinky Bag
- 9 Silly Soulless Questions ~ Some Fun Interview Bits
- You can play the Soulless Paperdoll Dress Up Game (flash)
- Fantasy Casting Soulless Characters
- Alexia Tarabotti character design board
- Lord Conall Maccon character design board
- Felicity & Evilyn Loontwill characters design board
- Ivy Hisselpenny character design board
I’m going to briefly add how important I feel Ivy is as a character. To show unwavering loyalty and female friendship. To understand Alexia without making a big deal about it. To add lightness, drama, and joy to any given situation.
We should all be so lucky as to have an Ivy in our lives.
Cover Art & Deleted Scenes & Author Perspective
- How Soulless Got Its Cover
- The Range of Cover Art for Soulless
- 2 Deleted Scenes from Soulless
- First Time Gail Saw Soulless in Stores
- SOULLESS BOOK LAUNCH PARTY
- Podcasting Chapter 1 of Soulless
- They Came From the Squealer Side – In Which Gail Encounters her first Fan Girl
- 7 Best Things Said About Soulless Before It Was Released
The Soulless limited edition case wrapped hardcover from Subterranean was voted the fan favorite over all cover as of 2016 (prior to the illustrated edition and all the novellas).
I Am, Indeed says of the Soulless audiobook:
“Narration for this story is provided by Emily Gray, and her performance managed to grab all of the underlying (and oft described) personality traits for each character with ease. From the slight affectations of Alexia to Macon’s hint of a burr, the voices fit the characters in ways unexpected without overplaying any single moment for emotional impact or overstating a point.”
- All my articles, thoughts, and special tidbits pertaining to Soulless.
- Check out the Parasol Protectorate Pinterest board for my visual inspiration.
- You can play the Soulless Paperdoll Dress Up Game (flash).
Here are some of my first sketches…
I also sketched a few of the other characters, like Ivy in one of her silly silly hats…
Lyall in wolf form.
And finally here is what it looks like when I am working out a fight scene. This is the one at the end in the Hypocras club.
That’s all for now, Gentle Reader!
Yours in soulessness,
- Want more sneak peeks, free goodies, gossip, behind the scenes info? This stuff goes to my Chirrup members, because I love them bestest. Sign up here.
- Not into newsletters? Get only new releases by following Gail on Amazon or BookBub!
OUT MAY 18, 2019!
The 5th Gender (a Tinkered Stars sci-fi as G. L. Carriger). COVER ART TO BE SEEN SOON BY THE CHIRRUP.
Sci-fi queer romance meets cozy mystery featuring a hot cop, the most adorable purple alien ever (lavender, pulease!), and a race with 5 genders.
- Reticence, The 4th and final Custard Protocol book. August 6, 2019
- Secret Project Ommm, October 31, 2019 to celebrate the 10th Anniversary of Soulless.
- Need to know what Gail is writing right now? That’s in the Chirrup.
GAIL’S DAILY DOSE
Your Moment of Parasol . . .
Your Infusion of Cute . . .
Your Tisane of Smart . . .
Your Writerly Tinctures . . .
Seven Proven Strategies for Editing and Proofreading Your Own Writing
Note: One of my tips is to change the font to opposite serif for the revision.
bibliophiliacs says of Soulless,
“Lovers of many different genres will enjoy these, and I encourage even those who don’t normally venture into sci-fi or fantasy to read them. You can tell that Carriger is having a great time writing them, and it makes for an equally great time reading them.”
Quote of the Day:
“We have really everything in common with America nowadays except, of course, language.”
~ Oscar Wilde
Coop de Book, Parasol Protectorate, SOULLESS, Special Extras