Well hello, Gentle Reader! I covered what I like in this post now I am going to talk all about what I really don’t like in terms of reading wheelhouses.
THINGS GAIL CARRIGER
ISN’T INTERESTED IN READING
I know I know, I don’t like putting negativity out into the world but I always want something I can direct people to who will persist in asking me to blurb/read books.
Ready? Here we go!
4 Systemic Issues That Really Turn Me Off
- Teams with only one woman
- Female protagonists with no female friends
- Skinned characters (biologically women, but they think and act like men)
- The Hero’s Journey
7 Plot Devices I’m OVER
- Issues that could be solved with one conversation
- Depressed main character
- Abusive/stalker Alpha males (AKA Alpha-holes)
- Killing your gays and/or minorities
- Sherlock Holmes retellings (more on that in this blog post)
4 Writer Ticks I No Longer Forgive
- Women characters only described by their appearance
- Early onslaught info-dumping
- Detailed descriptions of gore or glorification of violence
- Glaring and consistent misuse of vocabulary (thesaurus syndrome)
I Will Not Read It If It’s
- Dark/gritty or dystopian
- Zombie/plague focused
- First person present tense
- All white and/or all cis het
- Part of a long running unfinished series
- A cliff hanger
- Over 120k
Weekly Book Recs?
If you want weekly book recommendations from me (or to suggest books to me) I participate in #bookrecfriday on Twitter & Facebook (& sometimes Instagram & Tumblr).
Yours in “stop trying to dump books on me that I’ve seen a million times before,”
- Want more rants of the state of publishing? This kind of thing goes to my Chirrup members, because I trust them. Sign up here.
- Not into newsletters? Get only new releases by following Gail on Amazon or BookBub!
OUT MAY 18, 2019!
The 5th Gender (A Tinkered Stars Mystery as G. L. Carriger).
Preorder on Amazon | Elsewhere | Direct from Gail
Print is now available.
You can get it signed (and personalized) from Gail via Borderlands Books in San Francisco.
You can use the SIGNED button bellow the cover on Gail’s website.
Sci-fi queer romance meets cozy mystery in which a hot space station cop meets the most adorable purple alien ever (lavender, puhlease!) from a race with 5 genders.
- Reticence, The 4th and final Custard Protocol book. August 6, 2019
- Fan Service Omnibus, October 2019 to celebrate the 10th Anniversary of Soulless.
- Need to know what Gail is writing right now? That’s in the Chirrup.
GAIL’S DAILY DOSE
Your Moment of Parasol . . .
Your Infusion of Cute . . .
Your Tisane of Smart . . .
See an Octopus Change Color as It Sleeps, Perchance Dreams
Your Writerly Tinctures . . .
To Join or Not to Join a Professional Writers Organization: That is the Question
Quote of the Day:
Ok so…. Sorting Pratchett
- The Luggage = Slytherin
- The Librarian (oook) = Ravenclaw
- Sam Vimes = Gryffindor
- Nanny Ogg = Hufflepuff
~ Self on TwitterCoop de Book, Gail Carriger Recommends