Well hello, Gentle Reader! I covered what I like in this post now I am going to talk all about what I really don’t like in terms of reading wheelhouses.
THINGS GAIL CARRIGER
ISN’T INTERESTED IN READING
I know I know, I don’t like putting negativity out into the world but I always want something I can direct people to who will persist in asking me to blurb/read books.
Ready? Here we go!
4 Systemic Issues That Really Turn Me Off
- Teams with only one woman
- Female protagonists with no female friends
- Skinned characters (biologically women, but they think and act like men)
- The Hero’s Journey
7 Plot Devices I’m OVER
- Issues that could be solved with one conversation
- Depressed main character
- Abusive/stalker Alpha males (AKA Alpha-holes)
- Killing your gays and/or minorities
- Sherlock Holmes retellings (more on that in this blog post)
4 Writer Ticks I No Longer Forgive
- Women characters only described by their appearance
- Early onslaught info-dumping
- Detailed descriptions of gore or glorification of violence
- Glaring and consistent misuse of vocabulary (thesaurus syndrome)
I Will Not Read It If It’s
- Dark/gritty or dystopian
- Zombie/plague focused
- First person present tense
- All white and/or all cis het
- Part of a long running unfinished series
- A cliff hanger
- Over 120k
If you book recommendations from me (or to suggest books to me) I shout out favorites on Twitter & Facebook regularly and often talk about what I’m currently reading in the Chirrup.
Yours in “stop trying to dump books on me that I’ve seen a million times before,”
- Want rants on the state of publishing? This kind of thing goes to my Chirrup members, because I trust them. Sign up here.
- Not into newsletters? Get only new releases by following Gail on Amazon or BookBub!
Sci-fi queer romance meets cozy mystery in which a hot space station cop meets the most adorable purple alien ever (lavender, puhlease!) from a race with 5 genders.
GAIL’S DAILY DOSE
Your Moment of Parasol . . .
Your Tisane of Smart . . .
See an Octopus Change Color as It Sleeps, Perchance Dreams
Your Writerly Tinctures . . .
To Join or Not to Join a Professional Writers Organization: That is the Question
Quote of the Day:
Ok so…. Sorting Pratchett
- The Luggage = Slytherin
- The Librarian (oook) = Ravenclaw
- Sam Vimes = Gryffindor
- Nanny Ogg = Hufflepuff
~ Self on TwitterCoop de Book, Gail Carriger Recommends