Hello there Gentle Reader!
Here are some authors I love, who also write the kind of books I like to read: generally lighter stuff full of warmth, found family, and happy endings.
You can delve into my reading wheelhouse in this blog post if you want to know what I’m into.
10 Recommended Reads Right NOW
- Nikki Woolfolk writes both queer and steampunk and I love her stuff, it’s also complex and thought provoking. Bonus: anytime she writes about food I get hungry.
- Intisar Khanani writes lovely atmospheric fairy tale fantasy, I particularly enjoyed Thorn.
- Cindy Pon’s Silver Phoenix is a stunning beautiful YA fantasy with some amazing lyrical prose.
- My dear friend Piper J. Drake writes romantic suspense with adorable dogs, she knows what she’s doing too, her partner is in the military and she’s got the cutest corgi.
- Want jaw-dropping comic art and urban fantasy? Try Marjorie Liu
- Marie Lu’s Legend is still making waves in YA fantasy.
- Kilby Blades writes smart sexy women’s fic, erotica, and charming new adult. So really, take your pick!
- Not Your Sidekick by CB Lee is a lighthearted but glorious super hero romp. And there’s more in the series too!
- Helen Hoang’s Kiss Quotient is on my list of to-reads and getting lots of attention and buzz. She’s a legitimately funny person on podcasts and online and this awkward romance is reputed to be equally entertaining.
- Aliette de Bodard’s The Tea Master and the Detective might be the only Sherlock Holmes retelling I ever liked. Which is staying a LOT.
Bonus: CL Polk’s Witchmark has one of the greatest covers of last year. It’s also reputed to be the most “Gail like.”
(As always: I appreciate recommendations for lighter-hearted, comforting, queer friendly books with happy endings. Representation for the win!)
Here’s some more great options, especially if you want to sample a new author with a shorter read:
Weekly Book Recs?
If you want weekly book recommendations from me (or to suggest books to me) I participate in #bookrecfriday (also #fridayreads) on Twitter & Facebook (& Instagram & Tumblr when I remember).
Yours (destined to be killed by a tumbling TBR pile),
P.S. This blog post started as a conversation in the Parasol Protectorate Facebook Group. Other suggestions can always been asked for and found there.
P.P.S. Here’s a really fun interview I did recently with YouTuber Amara in Seattle
- Did you want more book recs as well as, free goodies, gossip, and behind the scenes info? This stuff goes to my Chirrup members, because I love them bestest. Sign up here.
- Not into newsletters? Get only new releases by following Gail on Amazon or BookBub!
OUT MAY 18, 2019!
The 5th Gender (A Tinkered Stars Mystery as G. L. Carriger).
Preorder on Amazon | Elsewhere | Direct from Gail
Print is now available.
You can get it signed (and personalized) from Gail via Borderlands Books in San Francisco.
Just use the SIGNED button bellow the cover on Gail’s website.
Sci-fi queer romance meets cozy mystery in which a hot space station cop meets the most adorable purple alien ever (lavender, pulease!) from a race with 5 genders.
- Reticence, The 4th and final Custard Protocol book. August 6, 2019
- Fan Service Omnibus, October 2019 to celebrate the 10th Anniversary of Soulless.
- Need to know what Gail is writing right now? That’s in the Chirrup.
GAIL’S DAILY DOSE
Your Moment of Parasol . . .
Your Infusion of Cute . . .
Four Weddings & a Funeral sequel for Comic Relief 2019
Your Tisane of Smart . . .
Where Did These 10 Weird Idioms Come From?
Your Writerly Tinctures . . .
Through the Looking Glass: Lack of DEI & the RITAs
Fifty shades of white: the long fight against racism in romance novels
2019 Hugo Award Finalists Announced, and the List is Gorgeous
Quote of the Day:
My new mandate: Provide refuge fluff.
~ Self on TwitterCoop de Book