Hello Gentle Reader,
One of the things I like to do is look back on the year and think about the things I really enjoyed. To that end here’s the books that made me happy last year!
- R. Cooper’s queer sci-fi Taji From Beyond the Rings. If you liked 5th Gender give this one a try. It’s on an alien planet and more politically complicated, but great.
- Granddad’s Cup of Tea by Amy Rae Durreson is one of my favorite romantic short stories OF ALL TIME. It’s a sweet contemporary romance set in the UK about a granddad finding his second love later in life. It is truly charming and if you want a pick-me-up, Granddad’s Cup of Tea will work even better than an actual cup of tea (and I don’t say that lightly). Although, honestly, why not have both?
- Don’t know if you like comics or how you consume them but I read Marvel Actions new CAPTAIN MARVEL #1 which is Flerken-a-licious, PG, and adorable. Recommended for all ages.
- Still Waters by Alex Gabriel, about a nix (evil merman) and a hunter, enemies who must band together to stop a monster and protect something they never thought they’d have… a home. They may even learn to like each. The story is more fairy tale fantasy than romance, eerie without being dark, and a little bit wonderful.
- Prince & Knight by Daniel Haack, adorable kid’s picture book about a prince who can’t find the right princess, because what he wants is actually a knight. I liked this book so much I’ve now gifted it 3 times.
- Speaking of gay boys & dragons, Knight’s Fire by SJ Himes, if you loved Tris in The 5th Gender you will love Zephyr the dragon who accidentally on purpose becomes a man who falls in love with the knight sent to rescue him. A bubbly little book, no weighty matters here, very enjoyable.
- Lyn Gala’s sci-fi Earth Father’s Are Weird. It’s so charming. Human military dude accidentally becomes surrogate for tentacle alien children, I know but trust me. All the feels. Found family, adorable squidies. Gah. So cute. You (hopefully) know I LOVE this author’s Claiming’s series, so I bought this one without bothering to read the blurb or sample. I REGRET NOTHING.
- If you love my San Andreas books you might try Nora Phoenix’s Irresistible Omegas series. Tons of sex, menage (and more), and mpreg so you have to like/tolerate those tropes. But it has one of the best, most touching allegories for a trans character I’ve EVER read. Enar’s heart-tugging denouement happens in the 3rd or 4th book, but when it comes it made me so so so happy I cried.
- I finished and loved Rhys Ford’s latest Kai Gracen novel, Jacked Cat Jive. More please.
- R Cooper’s book, Sweet Clematis is full of angst and miscommunication but it’s the ache I’m always after with Cooper. Happily cried and smiled my way through it. No surprise Cooper starts and ends this list.
Yours (destined to be killed by a tumbling TBR pile),
- If you want these recommendations AS I FIND THEM, they go to my Chirrup members first, because I love them bestest. Sign up here.
- Not into newsletters? Get only new releases by following Gail on Amazon or BookBub!
BOOK DE JOUR?
Meat Cute: The Hedgehog Incident featuring Alexia & Conall’s first encounter!
In this short story Alexia Tarabotti attends what seems to be a dull London party, until the new werewolf Alpha turns up, is unconscionably rude to her, and sits on a hedgehog.
Gail’s Daily Tea Party
Tisane of Nifty
Quote to Sip
“Before you use a fancy word, make room for it.”
~ Joseph JoubertTags: Gail Carriger Recommends