Gentle Reader, this continues a series of reflections on the things I enjoyed the most last year. Here’s some of the not-book media I discovered that I really loved.
- Mary Poppins Returns. Despite what you may think, I’m not a huge fan of the original movie (except the suffragette song) but I enjoyed this new version. In fact, I have decided I want to be her. I figure I’m about halfway there. Gotta wear my deep blue velvet coat more often, and I need a cute tilted burgundy perch fedora.
- A Cappella Group Pentatonix’s ‘The Sound Of Silence’ (plus I adore the outfits, very 90s La Femme Nikita).
- While watching the TV series Bones, I heard the song Lilikoi Lover by Rising Tide at the opening to an episode. I got so excited. Basically, this is a love song to my favorite fruit of all time: passion fruit. It is NOT a good song, but that matters not a whit to my excitement on the subject of its existence.
- Speaking of watching Bones, I like the anthropology perspective. Before you ask: yes my lab was near to the arch phys people (forensic anthropology); yes I’ve met the flesh eating beetles; no not my area of expertise at all; yes they did work CSI. Everyone hung out in my lab because we were food safe and I served tea, can’t do that around dead things.
- All Fantasy Everything podcast. I love the premise, although it’s a bit dude bro, it really makes me laugh.
- Four Weddings & a Funeral short film sequel for Comic Relief 2019 – a charming short follow up 25 years later to the original movie, which is a favorite of mine.
- Captain Marvel movie, working theory is it’s a buddy cop comedy chassis with Heroine’s Journey overtones. I liked it. My favorite was the cat. Of course.
- For Valentine’s Day I basically just rewatched all my favorite queer romantic comedies, ate a lot of chocolate, and enjoyed the rain.
- The following earworm: Postmodern Jukebox covers Burn.
- The new adaptation of Howard’s End. I’m an EM Forster fan, but I never liked the original adaptation, even though the cast was good. I think this longer version better suits the nuances of the story.
Yours (always behind what everyone else is into),
The rest in this series
- If you want these recommendations AS I FIND THEM, they go to my Chirrup members first, because I love them bestest. Sign up here.
- Not into newsletters? Get only new releases by following Gail on Amazon or BookBub!
BOOK DE JOUR?
Meat Cute: The Hedgehog Incident featuring Alexia & Conall’s first encounter!
In this short story Alexia Tarabotti attends what seems to be a dull London party, until the new werewolf Alpha turns up, is unconscionably rude to her, and sits on a hedgehog.
Gail’s Daily Tea Party
Tisane of Nifty
“Shouldn’t you be worrying about your own problems?”
“What enjoyment is there in that? Other people are always far more entertaining.”
Quote to Sip
“Apparently it’s the day of Hyper Aggressive Authors.”
~ Borderlands Books, Overheard in the StoreTags: Gail Carriger Recommends