In which I go into how the sausage is made for #NaNoWriMo, Gentle Reader. I take writer’s questions and reveal all my deep dark secrets. You know I don’t talk craft often, so this is your chance.
And here is the video!
Questions Answered At the Beginning
Jules: What do you find most challenging in the writing process? What techniques do you use to overcome writing difficulties or blocks? More tips for getting over writer’s block.
Lauren: What do you wish you’d known when you set out to write your first novel?
Ai: What’s the most bonkers story idea you’ve enjoyed noodling in your brain but never put to paper?
The one I actually wrote: THE 5TH GENDER
Robin: What’s the most filling snack to eat while writing?
Jameson: What is the biggest pitfall that is the most difficult to overcome when writing and publishing?
More? 12 Things About Publishing This Author Wishes Everyone Knew
Karen: Do you use a traditional outline, the “post-its on a wall” method, or a synopsis to organize while writing? Do you do main character profiles, or a list of character traits per character?
The index card technique.
Tools used necessity and recommends with reservations:
- Vellum formatting ebooks.
- Direct sales through Gumroad.
- Merchandise through Zazzle.
- Indirect vendor upload with Draft 2 Digital.
- Universal linking through Books 2 Read.
Jessica: How do you hold yourself back from sharing all the cool Easter eggs and awesome references?
Ali: How much does the story change while you are writing, and does it ever come out completely different from what you planned?
Dawn: With the popularity of audiobooks, do you find yourself making adjustments with book narration in mind? For example : not using character names that could be confused phonetically or messing around with accents and speech quirks.
Links of Great Import!
- Heroine’s Journey
- 25 Tips for Writing Victorian Set Steampunk
- Recommended gay paranormal romance series out of Thailand: He’s Coming to Me
- The chocolate I love to gift
- The jam I love to gift
- More ideas on gifts from independent artists
- How I work as an author
- Resources for beginning writers
Yours, fighting with Audible,
- Did you miss my latest release announcement? This stuff goes to my Chirrup members, because I love them bestest. Sign up here.
- Not into newsletters? Get only new releases by following Gail on Amazon or BookBub!
BOOK DE JOUR!
The Heroine’s Journey: For Writers, Readers, and Fans of Pop Culture
My first non-fiction book! How to use ancient story structure to understand and crack bestselling genre fiction.
“The Heroine’s Journey by Gail Carriger is a game changer for genre fiction. Using dozens of examples from books and movies, Ms Carriger carefully and convincingly divides these into two distinct story camps based on the character arc of their protagonists: the lone wolf and the team player.”
- Vixen Ecology ~ Interstitial short story featuring Mana and Lovejoy, follow up to The Enforcer Enigma, (you should read that first). Forthcoming Chirrup exclusive.
- Need to know what Gail is writing right now? That’s also in the Chirrup.
Gail’s Daily Tea Party
Tisane of Nifty
Quote to Sip
Tags: Important For Authors, Video