Ambush or Adore was a lot of work to write and research, Gentle Reader.
But most of that research was back through my own books ~ all 4 of the Finishing School series, bits of the Parasol Protectorate, and the last book in the Custard Protocol in particular. Partly this is because this tells a narrative covering over 40 years of time.
But also because I really address concepts of long term love, long distance affection, childhood infatuation, as well as questioning the notion that romance is the provenance of the pretty and the young.
One of the consequences of this is that first bit of this novella is Pillover and/or Agatha’s perspective on events that occurred during or congruent to the Finishing School books, which originally were told entirely form Sophronia’s POV. I had to go back and imagine where Agatha was standing in those scenes, what she was thinking, how her perspective would be entirely different from Sophronia’s.
Sometimes I had a run in with something I merely mentioned in passing in those books and then had to delve into more because Pillover knew more or had information earlier. Because Pillover was off in his school having a whole different childhood experience.
And sometimes I mentioned some tiny bit of food or steampunk device in passing, but that I had to research more this time around.
Extras for Ambush or Adore
- How did the cover art come to be?
- Sample the opening scene
- This book will be in printed form first as part of DELIGHTFULLY DEADLY Omnibus from Subterranean Press
Research behind Ambush or Adore
- Mentioned in Manners & Mutiny, medlar jelly – tastes like apple mixed with rosehip – what are medlars, how do you make jelly from them, why are they so vilified, and why do they need to be bletted?
- Kate Warne, Pinkerton agent and probably America’s first female private detective, a pioneer in her field.
- How to Amuse Yourself Like a Victorian
Yours (destined to be mired in non-ficiton),
- Did you miss my latest release announcement? Want more sneak peeks, free goodies, gossip, behind the scenes info? This stuff goes to my Chirrup members, because I love them bestest. Sign up here.
- Not into newsletters? Get only new releases by following Gail on Amazon or BookBub!
BOOK DE JOUR!
Ambush or Adore: Delightfully Deadly #3 – AGATHA’S BOOK
London’s best and most covert spy tries to escape the man who has always adored her. Out October 1, 2021
Meanwhile, guess what? Little Brown has put Etiquette & Espionage on sale (USA eBook) for only $1.99! This is the book where everything started and would eventually result in Ambush or Adore almost a decade later. Nice symmetry from the publishing industry.
This is a prime opportunity to snap up the digital edition, or pimp it out to get others hooked. Since this book is both YA and traditionally published it almost NEVER goes on sale. (October 2021)
- I have a fun techno-fantasy in production, about a world where magic only works when you’re dating someone, and the boy who falls in love with the wrong person.
- Need to know what else Gail is working on right now? That’s in the Chirrup.
Gail’s Daily Tea Party
Tisane of Nifty
Here’s a sample of all the covers over the years!
Quote to SipAMBUSH OR ADORE, Delightfully Deadly