Unlike its predecessor (Divinity 36) which is loosely based on the idea of a survival show entertainment competition, Demigod 12 (the second book) covers the touring side of the performance equation.
What happens to Phex and his pantheon of alien performers when they go out into the stars to perform on distant planets? How to they stay safe when everyone wants a piece of them, sometimes literally? Also, what does the perfectly shaped soup ladle have to do with any of this?
So what kind of research does this Authorbeast have to do for this kind of book?
More than you think, actually.
10 Most Interesting Things Researched for Demigod 12
- Male to female reproduction ratios in humans, in the past, high status individuals, and in bird breeding (chicken, duck, goose) – believe me it jives with this book
- I talk about band of brothers as a trope (as well as found family – sports teams, military, capers, rockstars), group art euphoria as a religious experience, and more with Dan & Kitty of the Everyday Novelist on this episode: Nanogang Bangs On: Day 10 – Feedback on Sports
- Hidden Brain podcast: Watch Your Mouth – How language shapes our perspective on life.
- This Unwoman interview (YouTube) talks music, mixing, solo production, and more. Unwoman is a friend from the Steampunk world whose cello (Stephanie) and I have shared a room on multiple occasions as, indeed have Unwoman and I (due to one very memorable travel whammy).
- All In The Mind podcast: The dark side of fame and what it does to the brain
- Dunbar’s Number and the cognitive capacity for intimacy in relationships.
- Human genetic code (as opposed to hominin and alien) – my aliens are genetically different enough from humans because of somaform (planetfall human genome terraformed to adapt to alternate worlds and environments) to the point that they are no longer procreativity compatible with homo sapiens and considered a different species.
- Are you “fan” enough? The role of identity in media fandoms
- Toxic fandom and threats to identity (possessiveness, entitlement, and a feeling of superiority)
- Celebrities murdered by their own fans and how those demographics compare to Sasaeng Fans
YouTube & Spotify Playlists
I have quite a few playlists relating to the Tinkered Starsong series
- Here’s a specifically designed playlist for the Tinkered Starsong trilogy on YouTube
- Here’s a massive playlist of Kpop songs that I found particularly interesting on YouTube for some reason or another, and here it is on Spotify
- Here’s a playlist of Tinkered Stars research
More DVD extras for this book?
- Demigod 12 Cover Art Discussion – what’s important about the 2nd book cover in a series?
- Pronunciation Guide for the Tinkered Starsong Books + Alien Linguistics (no, literally)
I hope you enjoyed this peek behind the curtain!
BOOK DE JOUR!
Demigod 12: Tinkered Starsong Book 2
Puts the opera back in space opera and the star back in superstar.
New York Times bestselling author Gail Carriger continues her cozy and engaging scifi about the power of art, celebrity, and found family.
Find my books
- Did you miss my latest release announcement? Want more sneak peeks, free goodies, gossip, behind the scenes info? This stuff goes to my Chirrup members, because I love them bestest. Sign up here.
Gail’s Daily Tea Party
Tisane of Nifty
Quote to SipDEMIGOD 12