Dear Gentle Reader, this blog is part of my occasional FAQ series being comprised of questions I get a lot and would like to answer here in depth.
Where is the Audiobook of Gail’s latest…
Parasolverse tie in story?
San Andreas book?
Competence & Reticence outside the USA & Canada?
If you can’t find it by clicking on the audiobook buy button on that book’s website page (and if you can’t, that button brought you here *waves*) or it’s not in Audible in your country, then this is what is going on…
Where is it?
- The story you are looking for may be in production. Sign up the Chirrup to find out exactly when it will release. (And if there are snags.) Also I give away audiobook codes pretty darn regularly.
- If you are outside the USA or Canada: There are likely distribution & rights issues in play. I’m working on it, struggling, or have given up.
- I’ve no plans to make it an audiobook.
- Audiobooks are costly. I only want to produce quality books. Therefore, I’m careful about investing in production. We’re talking thousands of dollars.
- Audiobooks are time consuming for everyone, so it’s unlikely one will EVER drop at the same time as an ebook.
- Voice talent is not easy to find. I only use high quality professional voice actors.
Why none at all?
Because the book you want in audio did not make enough money as a print/ebook to warrant the expense. If people don’t want to read or review my book in print, then likely they really won’t want to listen to it. I know you may want to, but you’re obviously unique.
- If you are outside the USA or Canada and you know the audiobook exists (just not in your country), I suggest trying another platform like GooglePlay or buying directly from me.
But I REALLY WANT the book on audio, how about crowd funding it?
Time project managing is also money. That’s exponentially more work on the back end than you think it is, and while I enjoyed my Kickstarter experience with Crudrat, I am not inclined to do it again. Ever. Sorry.
Where’s the Audiobook of Gail’s latest Parasolverse series Novel?
What you’re asking about here, is traditionally published.
In the USA it drops within a few days of the first edition of the physical book. In the UK and other English language territories it can take up to a month for the audiobook to drop. Sometimes longer.
Are you looking for Competence & Reticence outside the USA & Canada?
- I own foreign rights but I must rerecord (with a different narrator, pissing people off) or buy & redistribute the USA version. Both are prohibitively expensive.
- I negotiated a distribution deal with the original publisher (Orbit), and they are supposed to be distributing them for me. Ask them why it’s taking so long.
Chirrup members are kept regularly updated on the woes and drama behind audiobook production. They also get a chance at audiobook codes on occasion.
Sometimes it can get very exciting indeed.
Will you be using the same voice actress as the Parasol Protectorate (Emily) or Finishing School/Custard Protocol books (Moira) for other books?
No. Both are high-end professional voice actresses with multiple contracts for existing books. They do not have the time (nor do I have the funds) . However, if I find a voice actress I (and fans) like, who is comfortable with my range of accents, then I will try to use her multiple times. See Emma Newman who narrates How to Marry a Werewolf, Romancing the Inventor, Meat Cute, and more.
Will you read/record your own books?
No. (See the part about high quality and professional. I am neither.) Although I would consider doing any non-fiction I write, myself.
Will you ever use an American voice actor?
Yes, for those stories that take place in America.
Miss Gail, I want to do eeet! I can voice act with the best of ’em.
- Do you have a professional voice acting website with samples and contract information?
- How good is your accent range & do you have a reel?
- Do you have a studio or booth and are your recording instruments high quality?
- Will you work for hire (flat fee) and are your rates competitive?
Answer yes to ALL of the above questions?
Then you may contact me through the calling card feature on my website. However, I have a producer and he has the final say.
Will you do any more full cast audio (like Crudrat) or use multiple voice actors for multiple POVs?
Unlikely. I’m open to working with a producer on this but won’t do it myself. Here’s a sample of the first chapter to see what we’re talking about…
CAN WE HAVE MORE SAMPLES?
Poison or Protect
How to Marry a Werewolf
Romancing the Inventor
Romancing the Werewolf
The Sumage Solution
The Omega Objection
The 5th Gender
Soulless (and the Parasol Protectorate series)
Etiquette & Espionage (and the Finishing School series)
Prudence (and the Custard Protocol series)
Hidden in Pages says of Imprudence audiobook:
“The narrator does an absolutely wonderful job narrating and it was a joy to listen to. I kept finding myself creating reasons to listen to the audiobook so that I could listen to more.”
Midwest Book Review: Library Watch says of the Imprudence audiobook:
“Imprudence will prove to be an enduringly popular addition to community library audio book collections and is a “must” for all science fiction and fantasy enthusiasts.”
I Am, Indeed says of the Imprudence audiobook:
“Narration for this story is provided by Moira Quirk, and she does manage to present both sides of every conversation with clarity and style: each character is distinct, the rapid-fire moments of dialogue don’t impede her forward progress, and there are appropriate pauses for breath, laughter and tension (when required).”
More on audiobooks!
“…every carriger audiobook is like a being told you are going to get an entire month paid vacation with unlimited snuggle up doing whatever you want time, and loads of perfect cups of tea and cookies. It’s a dream come true.”
GAIL’S DAILY DOSE
Your Moment of Parasol . . .
Your Infusion of Cute . . .
Your Tisane of Smart . . .
Your Writerly Tinctures . . .
Quote of the Day:
“I never want to see anyone, and I never want to go anywhere or do anything. I just want to write.”
~ P. G. Wodehouse
More from Gail? Join the Chirrup!