Dear gentle Reader, awesome video for you today. Something I rarely do, a reading of The 5th Gender!
I almost never do readings, so this is a special treat!
In this video you’ll learn…
Why I don’t normally do readings and how I was persuaded to this one. (Blame the Group!)
What’s the greatest invention of the modern age.
What my really bad British accent sounds like.
Why writing multi genres in one book is an advantage.
Why I wear gloves to events.
On The 5th Gender Specifically
- What inspired me to write this book and what scene came into my head first (my epiphany moment)?
- How my writing process was different with this book.Where the emotive tentacle hair idea comes from.
- How I came up with the idea of multiple genders. How I keep 5 distinct in my head.
- What it’s like to vomit out a book and why it’s not always a good thing.
- How I approached the mystery element. Sci fi? Which did I like writing more?
- Using delicacy readers.
- Cover model? Hair? Talk to Starla!
- More in this universe? (The Tinkered Stars)
On Writing In General
My feelings on the different kinds of mysteries, from a writer perspective. I name some of the cozies I watched as a kid with my Popster. (The two names I forgot were: Johnathan Creek & Hetty Wainthropp Investigates)
How hard cover versions of books are challenging.
What is it about writing retreats that works so well for me? (Big confession.)
Easiest character voices for me to fall into?
LINKS to Stuff Mentioned
I have a complicated relationship to purple. Necklace & earrings from Etsy vendor Hibernacula
- Vamp Stamp
- Liquid pen liner
- White liner on bottom lash line.
- White eye shadow, best with my kind of glasses and eye shape.
Dress from eShakti (no longer available).
Yours in lavender love,
- Want more behind the scenes info? This stuff goes to my Chirrup members, because I love them bestest. Sign up here.
- Not into newsletters? Get only new releases by following Gail on Amazon or BookBub!
The 5th Gender (A Tinkered Stars Mystery as G. L. Carriger).
Sci-fi queer romance meets cozy mystery in which a hot space station cop meets the most adorable purple alien ever (lavender, pulease!) from a race with 5 genders.
Den of Geek says:
“While some of these dynamics may play a little more comfortably for readers familiar with category romance novels (the sex scenes here are certainly as graphic and creative as category romances strive to be), the world-building has the depth that science fiction readers crave, and the cozy mystery plot, though frequently interrupted by the other two aspects, hangs together well, hitting all the right emotional points.”
Tiny Navajo Reads says:
“This was such a sweet book! I loved it and I loved how much a culture of a society can affect how they treat those that are of greatest importance.”
Rally the Readers says:
“The 5th Gender delivers in so many ways: it’s sweet, it’s romantic, it’s funny, and most importantly, it tells a very impactful and very timely story.”
Hugh Likes Fiction says:
“…the story is charming and sexy, with delightful characters you’ll want to see more of when you get to the back cover.”
“This is a fun, funny, sexy book, and I’m so happy it exists. It hits you in the feels, makes you laugh and cry, and makes you think about matters of family, kin, and the heart.”
Every Book a Doorway says:
“I think Carriger did an excellent job of creating – and conveying – zyga as an identity; the eponymous 5th gender of the title. It’s incredibly important to Tris, the story, and his culture, and I found it deeply moving. It’s a really beautiful concept/identity, one that hearkens to the roles queer people have held in many different cultures, and especially the minor revelation of the last few pages just took my breath away.”
The Lit Bitch says:
“Carriger does such a fantastic job with her world building and this book is no exception. The world is richly described and interesting, but it’s the mystery/plot that really push this one forward.”
- Reticence, The 4th and final Custard Protocol book. Aug 6, 2019
- Fan Service Omnibus (SOLD OUT), Oct 2019 to celebrate the 10th Anniversary of Soulless.
- Need to know what Gail is writing right now? That’s in the Chirrup.
GAIL’S DAILY DOSE
Your Moment of Parasol . . .
Your Infusion of Cute . . .
Your Tisane of Smart . . .
Your Writerly Tinctures . . .
“Soulless is the rollicking first volume of Gail Carriger’s Parasol Protectorate series. Set in an alternative Victorian period in which vampires and werewolves have been integrated into British society, the book seamlessly melds steam punk, fantasy, humor and romance.”
Quote of the Day:
“Someone had an Emotional Support chicken on the bus today.”
~ Borderlands Books’ hilarious “Overheard in the store” April News5TH GENDER, Behind the Magic, Q&A, Tinkered Stars, Video