Happy New Year, my darling Gentle Reader. In fact, happy new decade!
With that in mind how about something from the man who has been through many many decades himself?
Why yes indeed, it’s our own favorite vampire dandy! And he is ready to solve all your fashion dilemmas…
Welcome Lord Akeldama… take it away!
9 FASHION QUESTIONS
1. What would you say is your most useful advice?
Better not to leave the house than to leave it ill dressed.
2. Oliver says: A friend of mine wore four flannels and and a jacket, at the same time, over a T-shirt?
I am all amazement.
3. What is the proper way for large women to wear vests and still look elegant?
Proper foundational garments.
4. What’s your process to remove bloodstains from your clothes?
Cold water INSTANTLY. Never let blood sit for even a second. It’s the only time in my afterlife when I have any sense of, well, urgency.
5. What colors would best set off my grey (pewter, not silver) hair?
Jewel tones darling, sapphire and emerald, ruby or royal purple if you dare.
6. What is your opinion on bow ties for the adventurous, daring woman?
Cautiously optimistic. I do like necks in bows, it’s always fun to unwrap a prettily presented snack.
7. I have always practiced the policy of getting completely dressed for an event, and then removing one piece of jewelry. Is this habit still valid, or has it become outdated? If it is still au courant, would you remove a pin or a bracelet?
Leave off the bracelet, my shimmery nugget. The primary purpose of jewelry in a modern social setting is to encourage dialogue ~ pins (or brooches) are more prominent and less common, and therefore more intriguing. Bracelets get caught on things all the time.
8. Miss Serena asks: Lemon juice does bring out the highlights in my hair, but without access to your pomade, how do I keep my naturally blond tresses from turning to straw?
After washing out the lemon, mix baking soda in cold water (enough to soften the water but not supersaturate it) and pour over hair. Let sit for 10 minutes. Rinse out.
9. What are your thoughts on culottes? Are they only for summer time, or can they be worn any season?
I am generally against garments that cannot decide what they wish to be.
And he’s gone!
Thank you all for paying him such close attention, he loves it, even if he doesn’t say so.
Extra nugget: 20 Queer Fantasy Books That Should Be On Your Radar
Want to ask the Good Vampire a question?
Just reply to your most recent Chirrup. Sign up here.
Speaking of which… this Sunday’s Chirrup (January 5, 2020) will offer the option to enter to win this goodie box!
You’ll need to be signed up and confirmed before it goes out, then there is a link to enter in the newsletter itself. I random number generate one winner, open to all who get the Chirrup.
Yours, thinking about a wardrobe overhaul,
BOOK DE JOUR?
Meat Cute: The Hedgehog Incident featuring Alexia & Conall’s first encounter!
In this short story Alexia Tarabotti attends what seems to be a dull London party, until the new werewolf Alpha turns up, is unconscionably rude to her, and sits on a hedgehog.
- Meat Cute AKA The Hedgehog Incident (audiobook out soon, digital for Valentine’s day)
- Spring 2020 the next Delightfully Deadly book, featuring Dimity! Title & cover coming soon.
- Need to know what Gail is writing right now? That’s in the Chirrup.
GAIL’S DAILY DOSE
Your Moment of Parasol . . .
Your Infusion of Cute . . .
Your Tisane of Smart . . .
Your Writerly Tinctures . . .
Sophril Reads says of Competence:
“I loved this book! There is just something about the life lessons in this series that just warms my heart.”
Quote of the Day:
Lord Akeldama, Victorian Fashion