My dear gentle reader, here is the FULL video of one of my panels from my recent visit to Teslacon. This steampunk event is fabulous and well worth a visit.
The lovely Airship Ambassador is ostensibly interviewing me, but we kinda just talk about the Parasol Protectorate for 90 minutes. The audio isn’t great and there is a brief glitch while I’m telling the cover art story so that will have to wait for another day.
If you don’t often see me at a convention, this is a taste of what it’s like.
Mentioned in this video!
- Lots of stuff, but here’s so important bits…
- Teslacon is a very stylish convention.
- The Airship Ambassador is a stylish and lovely gentleman.
- The teapot purse.
- Gail shows her full geek cred.
- Donna of Geeky Teas is also Gail’s cover model.
- Lord Akeldama highjacks Gail’s blog regularly.
- Lord Akeldama sings a music video for the Finishing School series.
- There is a Blameless cover art video too.
- The Finishing School Tumblr & Gail on Tumblr
- Gail tells travel horror stories on her podcast, 20 Minute Delay.
- Black Butler & yaoi.
- Gail’s favorite audiobook narrator Barbara Rosenblat and Emma Newman.
- Gail’s full cast audiobook Crudrat.
- Major author influences: P G. Wodehouse (audiobook & the TV adaptations), Jane Austen, Elizabeth Gaskell, Jerome K Jerome (Three Men In A Boat), Gerald Durrell (movie mentioned The Durrells in Korfu), James Harriott, eventually Douglas Adams, Terry Pratchett, Jasper Fforde.
- Gail Carrier’s mother narrates this full cast audio sample of Soulless. (Just this chapter exists.)
“I find that writing is a constant battle with exactly the same problems you’ve always had.”
~ Douglas Adams
- Yes, that’s a knitted octopus on Gail’s head.
- First writing and trying to sell Soulless, did Gail intend a series how did it go? Troubles with Changeless.
- Getting and agent and getting a publisher.
- How did Soulless get its cover?
- The inception of Lord Akeldama. Will we get more of his back story?
- Did Gail intend the Finishing School and the Parasol Protectorate character interconnection from the get go?
- Books tours, why, how many, why stop?
- How much feedback and contact does Gail really have with her fans.
- How much influence did Gail have over the manga and illustrated edition? How did they come into existence? What two scenes did REM have to redraw? Why isn’t there a coloring book?
- How to take advantage of serendipity?
- How much input does Gail have in her audiobooks and her narrators? Will there be other versions?
- Film option?
- Why does Professor Lyall exist? Is he just a foil or more?
- Werewolf back story, does Gail know how they all experience metamorphosis?
- Which character does Gail identify with the most? How to name them?
- Gail in England? Research, travel, and her mother.
- How much does the author’s Archaeology background play into these books?
- What werecreature would Gail choose?
I hope you enjoyed this is a rare opportunity to see what I’m like on a panel.
Rare because it took most of my data to film and post and it’s kinda hard to get the tech right.
- Want more behind the scenes info? This goes to my Chirrup members, because I love them bestest. Sign up here.
- Not into newsletters? Get only new releases by following Gail on Amazon or BookBub!
- Coop de Book for December is Girl Squads: 20 Female Friendships That Changed History by Sam Maggs. (Discussion here.)
Can a gentle giant with a trampled heart
show a man who’s been running all his life that
sometimes there are monsters worth running towards?
- The 5th Gender (a Tinkered Stars sci-fi under the G. L. Carriger pen name). No links as yet, wait for it…
- Reticence, The 4th and final Custard Protocol book. August 2019
- Secret Project Ommm, coming October 2019 to celebrate the 10th Anniversary of Soulless.
- Need to know more about what Gail is writing right now? That’s in the Chirrup.
GAIL’S DAILY DOSE
Your Infusion of Cute . . .
Your Tisane of Smart . . .
Your Writerly Tinctures . . .
Quote of the Day:
“That’s my motto, go somewhere, fall in love with an ancient culture.. mock it in fiction.”
~ Gail reflecting on archaeology and being an author