Poison or Protect the first (and currently only) Delightfully Deadly novellas (yes there will be MORE) was also my very first self published novella adventure. It released in June of 2016.
Here are some fun blog posts and resources that tie to this book. These include behind the scenes research and chattering on the subject of starting my self publishing and indie author journey, why I love novella length, and more.
A sexy assassin, a Scotsman, and two lobsters attend a Victorian house party.
This was my first independently produced novella and my first romance. Of course I had to start with a femme domme spin on one of my reader base’s least favorite characters.
Because why would I make it easy on myself?
I mean come on!
He is probably my favorite hero I have ever written.
Why did I write about Preshea first?
It’s my profound opinion that most evil characters are coming from a place of hurt. I wanted readers to learn more about Preshea and why she behaves the way she does. How she doesn’t fit into the world and why this damaged her.
You may not end up loving her by the end of this book, but you will understand her. And I suspect you will love Gavin and understand why he’s perfect for her.
Things Pertaining to This Book
- Blog posts specific to Poison or Protect
- Pinterest board of story inspiration and visual design elements
- Preshea character design board
- Gavin character design board
- Preshea also appears in the Finishing School Series
Fashion Related to this Book!
- Here’s the Retro Rack post where I talk all about Dressing the Cover of Poison or Protect.
Novellas are my favorite length to read. They’re perfect for a single evening’s entertainment, long enough for the author to develop character and plot, but not so long they have a chance to waffle about with description. Shorts, for me tend to be mostly pacing and concepts, but the novella really lets me explore relationships and people. Why Doesn’t America Love the Novella? I don’t know, because I really do.
I hope you enjoy Preshea, Gavin, and the lobsters.
- Did you miss my latest release announcement? Want more sneak peeks, free goodies, gossip, behind the scenes info? This stuff goes to my Chirrup members, because I love them bestest. Sign up here.
- Not into newsletters? Get only new releases by following Gail on Amazon or BookBub!
The 5th Gender (a Tinkered Stars sci-fi as G. L. Carriger). COVER ART TO BE SEEN SOON BY THE CHIRRUP.
Sci-fi queer romance meets cozy mystery featuring a hot cop, the most adorable purple alien ever (lavender, pulease!), and a race with 5 genders.
- Reticence, The 4th and final Custard Protocol book. August 6, 2019
- Secret Project Ommm, October 2019 to celebrate the 10th Anniversary of Soulless.
- Need to know what Gail is writing right now? That’s in the Chirrup.
GAIL’S DAILY DOSE
Your Moment of Parasol . . .
Your Infusion of Cute . . .
Apparently eShakti just uploaded their new dresses, so I’m reminding you I wrote a post on how to buy and get the best dress from them:
Your Tisane of Smart . . .
Intimate Photos That Capture People Having Tea Together in the Early 20th Century
Your Writerly Tinctures . . .
Sophril Reads says of Poison or Protect:
“I loved this novella. Gail took a character that was in the finishing school series that I didn’t really care about and made me like her. Preshea was a fixture in the finishing school series; however, I always found her annoying and I am sure that I would not have picked up this book had it not been for this read-along. I am so happy that I did!”
Quote of the Day:
“What do you call the second cup of tea reusing the first teabag?
After much discussion we settled on “victory cuppa.”
Like victory garden, because reusing a bag smacks of rationing.”
~ Gail CarrigerCoop de Book, Delightfully Deadly, POISON OR PROTECT, Special Extras