Prudence is the first book in my Parasol Protectorate spin off series, focused on the next generation with a group dynamic and a caper bent.
Prudence released in April of 2015
Here are some fun blog posts and resources that tie to this book, like researching India.
Prudence was probably the hardest book I ever had to write, it hit the NYT through dint of being on special offer (I think) in both ebook and hardcover when it launched. This was the first time Orbit released me in hardcover and this series got confused (by bookstores) with my YA series as a result.
Introducing the Custard Protocol series, in which Prudence travels to India for Queen, country…and the perfect pot of tea.
Prudence was a New York Times and USA Today bestseller, an Amazon Best Book Pick in Romance and Sci-Fi/Fantasy categories, and Library Reads pick.
When I started this new series I had to not only go back a see where I left things in the world, after Timeless (plus 20 years) I also hard to research what was going on around the world at the time. So there was a lot of background work to do before I even started the story.
Here’s what my desk looked like when I was doing that…
As I started actually writing Prudence, I realized it was not going to be possible for me to write this story while I was still writing the final Finishing School books.
This meant I had to ask my publisher for a delay. I talk all about this creative crisis in this blog post…
Going through this process actually made me trust you, my fans, a great deal more than I had previously.
I thought you would be mad at me, or harsh, about the fact that I had to take a delay on Prudence. But instead you were universally kind and understanding.
It’s for this reason I am a lot more honest with my reader base about my creative challenges than many authors I know.
Things Pertaining to This Book
- Blog posts about Prudence
- How Does the Peerage Work in the Parasolverse?
- Custard Protocol Pinterest board for visual inspiration.
- Deleted Scene From Prudence Featuring Lyall
- Prudence character design board (Rue is born in Heartless and is a child in Timeless)
- Quesnel character design board (Quesnel first appears as a child in Changeless)
- Sooties & Decklings inspiration board
- In which I Fantasy Casts Custard Protocol the Movie
- A Victorian marvel beneath the streets: Crystal Palace subway
- Thomas Cook’s Victorian Tours
- How To Make Nesselrode Cream The Victorian Way (Video)
This is a Wardian Fern Case, the stile I uses as a basis for my Lefoux Preservation tanks, which feature heavily in the Custard Protocol series.
Fashion in the Custard Protocol Series:
- Prudence Cover & The Fashion To Go With It + What I Word to Match it on Book Tour
- For Prudence & The Custard Protocol – Ladybug Fashion
- Rue & Primrose in the Future
- My 3 Series ~ A Silhouette Retrospective for Readers, Fellow Authors, & Dilettantes
- Dressing Prudence From the Foundation Up
- India’s Influence on Victorian Clothing in the Custard Protocol series
Rue wears this outfit in Chapter 10: Egypt
Cutwork Leather Boots, ca. 1890 via Chicago History Museum, Parasol 1890s The Metropolitan Museum of Art, dress 1890s Nordiska Museet.
Aren’t you mad for the boots? I wrote the whole scene around them.
“It took just minutes to realize that Moira Quirk is the perfect narrator for this book, bringing the right sense of humor and tone to every character. Yes, indeed, some are rather over the top – Lord Akeldama most notably – but that’s exactly how Ms. Carriger writes the characters.”
The Smut Report says of Prudence:
“The story takes delight in its own absurdity, which makes it utterly a true pleasure to read.”
I hope you’ve enjoyed these bits and bobs about Prudence.
Yours in perpetual research,
- Want more sneak peeks, free goodies, gossip, behind the scenes info? This stuff goes to my Chirrup members, because I love them bestest. Sign up here.
- Not into newsletters? Get only new releases by following Gail on Amazon or BookBub!
The 5th Gender (A Tinkered Stars Mystery as G. L. Carriger).
Sci-fi queer romance meets cozy mystery in which a hot space station cop meets the most adorable purple alien ever (lavender, pulease!) from a race with 5 genders.
- Reticence, The 4th and final Custard Protocol book. Aug 6, 2019
- Fan Service Omnibus (sold out), Oct 2019 to celebrate the 10th Anniversary of Soulless.
- Need to know what Gail is writing right now? That’s in the Chirrup.
GAIL’S DAILY DOSE
Your Moment of Parasol . . .
Your Infusion of Cute . . .
Your Tisane of Smart . . .
Your Writerly Tinctures . . .
Quote of the Day:
I’ve just made a revelatory discovery. I believe my jam ranking has shifted, this late in the game, from: 1. Raspberry 2. Cherry to 1. Cherry 2. Raspberry. I know. Shocking twist!
~ Self on TwitterCoop de Book, Custard Protocol, PRUDENCE, Special Extras