As is customary each year, Gentle Reader, at the beginning of October I take a moment to examine my career as an author.
Yes, the time has come again! It is Soulless’s birthday!
October 1, 2009 a silly little book hit the market…
A very nervous debut author hummed and hawed over her offering.
- Would anyone actually like it?
- It was such an odd mash up of paranormal, steampunk, and comedy – who would enjoy such a ridiculous story?
- Were there readers out there irreverent enough to want whimsy?
Well, Soulless turns nine years old today.
The silly little book that I thought would find a home in only a very few people’s hearts seems to have miraculously wormed its way out into the world and touched many.
Soulless has now sold into over a dozen different territories for translation. There has been a graphic novel manga version (which itself is now translated into French, Taiwanese, and German) and an omnibus. It’s was once optioned for TV. It’s spawned videos, fan art, several tea parties, audio books, cosplay, and an iPhone app.
Little did I know how much that one book would so utterly change my life.
In these last nine years:
- After getting my second masters degree I put my PhD on indefinite hiatus.
- I gave up teaching archaeology, discontinued my experimental work, and stopped my field visits. Basically, I switched careers.
- I moved, 3X.
- I visited a dozen foreign countries promoting the books, half of which I’ve never traveled to before.
- I made countless new friends and been blessed with a chance to visit old ones.
- I’ve watched the steampunk movement grow and expand, and then contract.
- I got a cat. (Or the cat got me.)
- I went to conventions and signings all over the world and learned valuable lessons from fellow authors.
- I ate hundreds of foods, dishes, and sweets I’d never tried before.
- I started a podcast.
- I wrote 19 additional books:
* 4 followups to Soulless
* 1 YA sci-fi, 1 adult sci-fi
* 4 YA Finishing School books
* 3 Custard Protocol books
* 4 Parasolverse novellas
* 2 San Andreas Shifter books
* Assorted short stories
(Here’s your definitive reading guide.)
- And, best of all, I got to meet my readers: some here on the blog, some on Twitter, some on Facebook, some in person ~ all of you so warm and fun and strong and smart.
There have been good reviews and glorious ones, nasty gripes and soundly presented critiques. I’ve tackled rough times in social media, and made my fair share of online mistakes. But in the end, it always came back to Soulless and the writing. Did the book make you smile? Then I did my job.
So, thank you so very much, Gentle Reader, and if you have the time or inclination please raise up a teacup in honor of Soulless, who’s original secret code name, at the dawn of this blog, was The Little Paranormal That Could.
I guess Soulless could and did.
And if you put a spot of amaretto in your tea, well, I won’t tell.
Thank you all for NINE glorious years!
Many of you have been with me all along, and several of you have already posted comments on my similar October 1 posts of the past, for which I thank you.
If you would like to share your “How I discovered Soulless” story, I would love to read it.
Or just show us a fun photo of whichever edition you have!
- You can read about the first year after my sale in the blog post I wrote the year after Soulless released.
- You can read about the notes that started it all in my blog post for Soulless’s birthday last year.
And still, one of the most common questions I get is…
Will you ever write the hedgehog incident?
You know what next year is, darling Gentle Reader?
Next year is Soulless’s 10th birthday.
Yours (forever cheeky),
- Did you want to know what I am worsing on next? This stuff goes to my Chirrup members, because I love them bestest. Sign up here.
- Not into newsletters? Get only new releases by following Gail on Amazon or BookBub!
- Coop de Book for October is The Sumage Solution (in preparation for The Omega Objection‘s release). (Discussion here.)
OUT NOV 4, 2018!
Can a gentle giant with a trampled heart
show a man who’s been running all his life that
sometimes there are monsters worth running towards?
- The 5th Gender (a tinkered stars sci-fi under the G. L. Carriger brand). No links as yet, wait for it…
- Secret Project Ommm, coming October 2019 to celebrate the 10th Anniversary of Soulless.
- Need to know more about what Gail is writing right now? That’s in the Chirrup.
GAIL’S DAILY DOSE
Your Moment of Parasol . . .
Your Infusion of Cute . . .
Your Tisane of Smart . . .
Your Writerly Tinctures . . .
Quote of the Day: